Gordian III Mt. Argaeus AE29

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ancient coin hunter, Jan 29, 2022.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

New from JAZ Numismatics, intro by @John Anthony:

An agalma is a cult image or statue, often placed on an altar as a votive offering. Here is Mt. Argaeus as an agalma, characteristic of the coins of Caesarea in Cappadocia. These bronzes, approximately the size of an as, are very scarce compared to the drachms with similar reverse.

CAPPADOCIA. Caesarea.

Gordian III, AD 238-244.

Æ29, 12.0g, 12h; struck AD 243.

Obv.: AY K M ANT ΓOPΔIANOC C; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.

Rev.: MHTPO KAIC B N; Agalma of Mt. Argaeus placed on altar // ETς

Ref.: Sydenham, Caesarea Suppl. 615a

PXL_20220129_153730219.jpg

PXL_20220129_153749429.jpg

Show your coins of Mt. Argaeus or Gordian III. Also, note that JAZ Numismatics offers an interesting selection of coins most weeks, all you need to do to get on the auction contact list is to PM John Anthony.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    Ryro, DonnaML, Spaniard and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

I have many coins of G3, Roman or provincial...
    My best :

gordien3sest.jpg
    G3 sestertius, wonderful portrait

My worst :
    Gordien III Edesse.jpg Edessa, Gordian III, AE 31mm.
    Obv.: [AVTOK. K. M. ANT. ΓOP]ΔIANOC [CEB.] , laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian III right.
    Rev.: [AVTOK. ΓOPΔIANOC ABΓAPOC BACIΛEVC] , Gordian III seated right on chair set on platform facing Abgar X standing left and holding small nike.

Abgar X was king of Osrhoene and a close ally of the Romans when Gordian III led a military expedition against the Sassanid Persians in AD 242. With such a coin, minted in Edessa, the city of Abgar, we see the hierarchy of powers, who is enthroned, and who is standing in front of him waiting for orders. In fact, this coin reflects the feudal system in the Middle East at the time, and is closely paralleled by Parthian reliefs showing the King of Kings enthroned and a vassal king standing in front of him.

Ryro, Spaniard, ambr0zie and 11 others like this.
  4. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Nice pickup, always enjoy these big Mt. Argaeus bronzes.

307892F8-5D48-4901-AC16-04FA5A84950E.jpeg
    Julia Domna, Cappadocia, Caesarea, (AE 29.5mm., 19.16g). IOVΛIA ΔOMNA AVΓ Draped bust of Julia Domna right/ Rev. MHTPOΠO KAICAPIAC / ЄT IΔ Mt. Argaeus surmounted by star.

Ryro, Spaniard, ambr0zie and 9 others like this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Cappadocia coins are kool!...

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  6. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

2 of my favourite Gordies:

Gordian III macedonia serpents bb (2).jpg singara gordianus.jpg

7. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

What is depicted on coins when they represent Mount Argaeus?
    This volcanic mountain, today Erciyes Dagi in Turkish, looks actually like this :

argaeus mount erciyes.jpg
    (as seen from Caesarea of Cappadocia - Kayseri, Turkey)

Today you can go skiing on its slopes, there are resorts like in the Alps.

Mount Argaeus is pictured on ancient coins from Archelaus (36 BC - 17 AD) to Gordian III (238-244 AD). These depictions are extremely diverse, here is a small sample, sometimes the mountain can be represented under much different aspects under the same emperor.

Mount Argaeus.jpg
    It is something surrealistic. The oldest depictions look like pile of poo.jpg . Some others, especially under Lucius Verus or an incredible medallion of Commodus, look like something by Salvador Dalí.

dali.jpg

Mt Argaeus is depicted as a strange mountain topped by a statue, or a star, or the Sun's quadriga, or different things, with sometimes bizarre spheres, something like an incuse ace of spades (a cave?) at mid-summit, and surrounded by dots, or peaks, or flames, or anything... What is it???

Do you know a serious article or chapter in which the image of Mt Argaeus on ancient coins is analysed, discussed, explained?

My own personal theory is that these peaks, at least on depictions of the Severian period, may represent hoodoos (AKA fairy chimneys) typical of the Cappadocia landscape. Of course these hoodoos are not on Mount Erciyes, you can find them in the surroundings near Ürgüp and Göreme, more than 50 km West of Caesarea. But it is just my personal hypothesis, I never read anything in that sense.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    Ryro, DonnaML, Spaniard and 10 others like this.
  8. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Are you sure it is Gordian ?

I am reading Sev Alexander ( CEOVHPO ALEZANDROC )

Cool coin.

9. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Nice catch ! My only coin from Cappadocia :

CF35E3CB-3493-4285-9FBE-CBE87A50083D.jpeg

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Antonius Pivs
    Antonius Pius 4.jpg

Sept Sev
    Septimius Severus 17.jpg

Gordian III
    Gordian III 11.jpg

Ryro, Spaniard, Edessa and 7 others like this.
  11. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

I also wanted a coin with a Mt Argaeus reverse so got this Pius
    upload_2022-1-29_23-59-49.png

Bing, Ryro, Spaniard and 6 others like this.
  12. ancient coin hunter

Great coins all. Let's keep the Mt. Argaeus theme going! By the way it is 12,851 feet in height! I was thinking something like 4-5k feet so I was indeed surprised! And a stratovolcano to boot, higher than Mt. Lassen and Mt. Hood in the U.S. Cascade range...

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You are correct.

Ryro, Spaniard and tenbobbit like this.
  14. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

As far as I know, this is the only depiction of Mt. Argaeus on an Imperial Roman coin (rather than a Provincial). Part of a scarce series of sestertii issued by Antoninus Pius at the time of his accession:

Antoninus Pius - Sest. Cappadocia crown Jun 2020 (0).jpg
    Antoninus Pius Æ Sestertius
    (139 A.D.)
    "Aurum Coronarium" type
    Rome Mint

ANT[ONI]NVS AVG PIVS P P, laureate head right / [CAPPADOCIA] [COS II] in ex.,
    Cappadocia standing left, holding crown & vexillum, Mt. Argaeus with star above at left of her feet.
    RIC III 1056 (RIC 580 (R)).
    (23.34 grams / 31 x 29 mm)
    eBay June 2020 (France)

"Hadrian's successor Antoninus Pius also issued a 'provincial' series of coins, in this case to celebrate the remission of half of the aurum coronarium ('crown-gold'). This was a demand made by the emperor on the communities of the Empire (and sometimes even on foreign states) at the time of his accession and on certain anniversaries of his rule. Antoninus' remission of half of this burdensome tax at the time he came to the throne was greeted with much enthusiasm and led to the production of an extensive series of aes coinage depicting crown-bearing personifications of various provinces (and even of the Parthian kingdom)." David Sear, Roman Coins and their Values, Volume 1, The Millennium Edition.

Bing, Ryro, Spaniard and 5 others like this.
  15. ancient coin hunter

Are you referring to my original post coin?

16. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

My only coin depicting Mt. Argaeus, with a statue of Helios at the summit, is from Lucius Verus. I like the deer on the lower left, and the rather mysterious boulders with treetops, as well as the flames(?) running up the sides.

Lucius Verus Didrachm, Cappadocia (Caesarea), Mt. Argaeus rev., LAC.jpg

Andres2, Johndakerftw, Bing and 4 others like this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes. I am with tenbobbit letter for letter on this one.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  18. ancient coin hunter

OK thanks guys for the heads-up.

Draft saved Draft deleted