Gordian III Antoninianus - Fides Militum

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by PillarsOfEternity, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Hello CT

I'd like to share my most recent addition with you all.

[​IMG]

Gordian III
    AR Antoniniaus, 4.29g
    Obv: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG; Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: FIDES MILITVM; Fides standing left, holding standard and scepter.
    Mint: Rome, 238-239 CE
    References: RIC IV 1, RSC 86

This antoninianus of Gordian III is from the first emission struck under his rule at the Rome mint, and is dated between late July 238 and late July 239. RIC states that the early period of Gordian’s coinage is distinguished by '...the years of tutelage under his mother and her favorites [and] is marked by a cautious and tentative promise of good government'.

The reverse shows Fides, the Roman goddess of loyalty and trustworthiness, who has been depicted variously on Roman coinage. In this example, Fides is seen carrying a military standard and sceptre, with the reverse acknowledging the loyal troops ('Fides Militum'). Bill Welch’s site notes, ‘A coin like this sent three different messages at the same time. The populace were reassured that they were well defended. Enemies of Rome were reminded that Rome would not be an easy target. And the army were reminded of the solemn oaths they had taken when they joined up’.

The common coin types of Gordian III are plentiful and often inexpensive. In this instance, I was drawn to the details of the portrait, and am pleased to add it to my small and modest collection.

Oh, and I’d like to mention that this isn’t my first post on CT. I started topics once or twice in the past under a different username (DanielR6). Apologies for any confusion, this was a couple of years ago and I no longer access my old email account linked to that login, so it seemed simpler to start afresh.

Please share your coins of Gordian III, Fides, or anything you feel is relevant.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Welcome back, @PillarsOfEternity ! Lovely coin. I only have two Fides militum coins, one of Macrinus (which depicts Fides militum, but without the FIDES MILITVM inscription) and another of Victorinus.

[​IMG]
    Macrinus, AD 217-218.
    Roman AR denarius, 2.94 g, 19.5 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, AD 217.
    Obv: IMP C M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: PONTIF MAX TR P COS P P, Fides Militum standing facing, head right, right foot on helmet and holding a military standard in each hand.
    Refs: RIC 22A; BMCRE 38; Cohen 60; RCV 7345; ERIC II 69.

[​IMG]
    Victorinus, AD 269-271.
    Roman billon antoninianus, 2.63 g, 20.1 mm.
    Cologne (though CNG attributes this coin to Treveri), AD 269/70.
    Obv: IMP C PIAV VICTORINVS PF AVG, radiate, draped bust, r.
    Rev: FIDES MILITVM, Fides standing l., holding two standards.
    RIC-109; Cohen-36; AGK-5b; De Witte pl. XXVI, 22; Sear-unlisted.

And as for Gordian III? I have umpteen I could show, but I'll post this LIBERTAS AVG sestertius because it's a favorite:

Gordian III Libertas standing sestertius.jpg
    Gordian III, AD 238-244.
    Roman Æ sestertius; 24.30 gm, 28.7 mm.
    Rome, AD 240.
    Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: LIBERTAS AVG SC, Libertas standing left, holding pileus and scepter.
    Refs: RIC 318a; Cohen 153; RCV 8717; Hunter 147.

Marsyas Mike, Andres2, Shea19 and 6 others like this.
  4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

5. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

That's a nice Gordian! My coin and photos are not quite as nice but I have one as well.

GordainIIIRIC1.jpg

Marsyas Mike, Andres2, Shea19 and 5 others like this.
  6. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

Here is a FIDES.MILITVM from Probus FC-162 OBV.jpg FC-162 REV.jpg

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Maximinus Thrax FIDES MILITVM and Gordian with Apollo seated:

maxthrax1.jpg

maxthrax2.jpg

gordian3.jpg

gordian4.jpg

8. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

PillarsOfEternity, That's a fine addition to your collection with a wonderful portrait of Gordian III. Many emperors used the FIDES MILITVM reverse on their coins when Rome was under siege. A favorite example from my collection can be seen below.

IMG_3645.JPG
    IMG_3648.JPG

9. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Very nice. I don’t have a Fides, but this one is my favorite Gordy III.

21524BBD-107B-4285-96BF-E2D81B1645D2.jpeg

Gordian III, Antoninianus (22 mm, 4.61 g), Rome, circa 242. IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian to right. Rev. P M TR P V COS II P P Apollo seated left on throne, holding branch with his right hand and resting his left elbow on lyre. RIC 89.

Draft saved Draft deleted