Gordian III and Tranquillina Mesembria provincial help needed

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, May 18, 2019.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I am having a terrible time identifying the figure on the reverse of this pentassarion from Mesembria in Thrace! I've done a search at acsearchinfo, looked at Wildwinds, online Moushmov, Lindgren, Wiczay, Mionnet supplement 2, and the BMC catalog and nothing!

Does anyone know which deity this is? Anyone have Varbanov or Karayotov? Anyone know of a reference for this coin? Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Here's the coin:

Gordian III and Tranquillina Mesembria Homonoia.jpg
    Gordian AD 238-244 and Tranquillina.
    Roman provincial Æ 28.6 mm, 11.36 g, 7 h.
    Thrace, Mesembria, AD 241-244.
    Obv: ΑVΤ Κ Μ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC ΑVΓ CΕΒ-ΤΡΑΝΚVΛ|ΛΙΝΑ, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian and draped bust of Tranquillina, wearing stephane, confronted.
    Rev: ΜΕCΑΜΒΡ-Ι-ΑΝΩΝ, Demeter standing left, wearing stephane, holding phiale and long torch.
    Refs: Varbanov 4190, citing Karajatov 83; SNG Copenhagen --; BMC --; Moushmov --; Lindgren --; Mionnet suppl 2 --; Sear --; Wiczay --.

The only standing female deity I can find on coins of Gordian and Tranquillina from this city who holds a patera is Homonoia -- but she wears a modius and holds a cornucopia:

Gordian III and Tranquillina Mesembria Homonoia Naumann.jpg

Interestingly, the obverse die has some damage and is a match to the obverse die of this coin sold by Roma:

Gordian III and Tranquillina Mesembria Apollo with patera Roma.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

@ RC. Notice the long boot ! Could this help ?

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm, I don't know who the reverse figure is and doubt I can research it better than you already have.

I don't agree about the obverse die match though. Did you link the wrong coin? o_O

I don't see any long boots. Can you point out what you're seeing?

5. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Could it be Tranquillina herself? Blessing the union with a sacrifice to the gods from her patera?

Roman Collector likes this.
  6. Roman Collector

You don't?

Gordian III and Tranquillina Mesembria Homonoia.jpg Gordian III and Tranquillina Mesembria Apollo with patera Roma.jpg

I'm 100% sure they are an obverse die match.

Bing and Justin Lee like this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oh. I was looking at the coin immediate above it in your OP :oops:. You're right, of course. Your coin's obverse is a match to the Roma coin... not to the second coin shown in your OP. I thought you had lost your mind. Turns out I had :D.

Justin Lee likes this.
  8. Roman Collector

I wonder if it's Demeter. Moushmov 4016 is a coin of Philip and Otacilia from this city with Demeter standing left, holding patera and long torch:

Philip I and Otacilia Mesembria Moushmov.jpg

But stylistically, that doesn't much resemble the reverse figure on my coin, though her accouterments are the same:

Bing likes this.
  9. 7Calbrey

That long white thing under her right thin leg and foot.

10. Roman Collector

I think that's the hem of her stola dragging on the ground.

TIF likes this.
  11. 7Calbrey

O.K. That didn't happen to Homonoia. Just curious.

12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Yours is Varbanov 4201 (R5) - Homonoia, "but without kalathos." However, the obverse legend listed for it is AVT K M AN ΓOPΔIANOC TPANKVΛΛIN, so yours would be a variety with a different obverse legend. Unless, the legend in Varbanov is erroneous; unfortunately, that entry isn't illustrated.

Roman Collector likes this.
  13. Roman Collector

Thanks!

14. Roman Collector

I'm not so sure Varbanov 4201 is correct. @Jochen has an example on his page attributed to 4201 and his depicts Homonoia with a cornucopia, not a scepter or long torch. Interestingly, his is an obverse die-match to my coin:

Gordian III and Tranquillina Mesembria Homonoia Jochen.jpg

Similarly, this page shows five examples of a coin listed as Varbanov 4201, and it has the same reverse as Jochen's:

Capture.JPG

15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Yup, my bad, sorry. :shy: It should be Varbanov 4190 (R5) - "Demeter stg l., holding phiale and long torch."

Justin Lee and Roman Collector like this.
  16. Roman Collector

Thanks so much! :joyful: That has to be it. I can't find a single other example of this coin online. I've been looking all over, too.

Justin Lee likes this.
  17. Roman Collector

The obverse die must have a bunch of damage. There appear to be cuds between the portraits on these examples:

Mine:

Jochen's:
    Gordian III and Tranquillina Mesembria Homonoia Jochen.jpg

Roma Numismatic's example:
    Gordian III and Tranquillina Mesembria Apollo with patera Roma.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted