Gordian III and his buddy Abgar X

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

I've been pretty busy with other stuff and haven't had much time to post lately, so just catching up with some recent purchases.
    Osrhoene Abgar X.jpg
    Roman Empire, client kingdom of Osrhoene (Edessa). AE24 (24 mm, 8.7 g). Gordian III (238-244) with Abgar X (242-244). Obverse: Radiate bust of Gordian III right, star in front, inscription in Greek AVTOK K M ANT GORDIANOC CC (mostly off flan). Reverse: Bust of Abgar X right wearing Parthian-style tiara, star behind, inscription in Greek ABGAROC BACILEVC. SNG Cop 226, Sear Greek Imperial Coins 5746. Ex John Anthony auction.

Osrhoene was a small kingdom in northern Mesopotamia centered around the city of Edessa, and thus also called the Kingdom of Edessa. It emerged from the break-up of the Seleukid Empire in the late 2nd century BC and soon became affiliated with the rising Parthian Kingdom. The rulers appear to have been of Arab descent, though little is known about their detailed history. The small kingdom continued to be part of the Parthian sphere of influence (give or take a few Roman invasions, march-throughs, and general poking about) until 167 AD when Lucius Verus, as part of his Parthian campaign, set up a pro-Roman king. Osrhoene then continued as a pro-Roman state, often featuring the Roman emperors on their coins, until 216 when Caracalla turned it into a Roman province. Gordian III, for some reason, briefly revived Osrhoene in 242 AD and set up king Abgar X, but upon Gordian's death in 244 Osrhoene reverted back to Roman provincial status.

This type is one of the more common Osrhoene coins available today; I won this in a John Anthony auction at $25, which is a good price but not absurdly low. I particularly like the depiction of Abgar in a Parthian-style tiara. Post your coins of Osrhoene.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I eyed it myself, it is a cool coin.

4. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Edessa in Mesopotamia struck a sestertius-sized provincial coin showing Gordian III seated on a sella curulis, up on a dais, receiving Abgar standing left, presenting him Victory.
    Gordian3ProvEdessaApgar.jpg
    32-31 mm. 19.92 grams.
    Lindgren and Kovacs 2588. BMC Mesopotamia, Edessa 138. Sear Greek Imperial --
    ΑVΤΟΚ Κ Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟPΔIΑΝOC
    AVTOK ΓOPΔIANOC ABΓAPOC BACIΛEVC (Abgar King)

A historical type!

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice info, @Parthicus!

[​IMG]
    MESOPOTAMIA, Edessa. Gordian III
    struck CE 242-244
    AE25, 10.7 gm
    Obv: [ AVT K M] ANT GORDIANOC CEB, laureate, draped & cuirassed bust of Gordian III seen from behind; star before
    Rev: ABGAROC BACILEUC; mantled bust of Abgar r., bearded, wearing Parthian-style tiara with rosette; star behind
    Ref: BMC 144; SNG Cop 225

Wowie!! That is fantastic!

Draft saved Draft deleted