GOOGLE Launched A Numismatic Reference Library

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by OldGoldGuy, Jan 20, 2015.

1. OldGoldGuy

OldGoldGuy Members Only Jacket

First of all, I saw this posted on another forum, and didnt see anything about it here. I am big on, and encourage the humans to share knowledge with one another. Haven't had a chance to dive in yet to see what its got so far, but preliminary observation is awesome and huge potential.

Enjoy.

https://sites.google.com/site/digitallibrarynumis/

(I am a dunce, cannot believe I forgot to add the link, it was still sitting on my clipboard waiting to be -CTRL-V-'d, thank you bdunnse)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

A link would help. Searching google produced zilch.

BostonCoins and OldGoldGuy like this.
  4. OldGoldGuy

Ok wow, the site is amazing. A couple pieces I wanted were only available in French, but I am pulling up books converted to PDF from the 1800s.

bdunnse likes this.
  5. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

It doesn't look like Google has anything to do with it. Some person launched it, and chose to host it on Google Sites free hosting.

6. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

7. OldGoldGuy

Well don't we all wish we had internet - vision too

8. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

...and the site is not new, it has existed since at least mid-2011.

9. OldGoldGuy

well, I found It SUPER useful

10. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

11. krispy

krispy krispy

Don't feel too bad, scientists are still finding new species and astronomers new worlds, too. :wacky:

12. As over the years I have built up a large personal library of coin books and various publications on the subject, I can quite clearly see the advantages of a reference library. The subject of numismatics is very vast and covers many areas, and the more knowledge we can obtain about it the better.

13. Coin Monger

Coin Monger New Member

Thank you. What a great find!

14. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

15. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I clicked on your link, then Coins Americas, United States, Walter Breen and came up with this:

Google Library-01.jpg

What the heck language is that?

16. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Which............is why I'm not going to bookmark it nor use it since I don't trust the site.

I'm sure that oldgoldguy has the best of intentions though and I thank him for that.

17. krispy

krispy krispy

Works for me, no funny business.

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Some of the links take you to pdf downloads from Google books, others like the one 19Lyds posted take you to what appears to be a russian site that may let you download a pirated pdf copy (and maybe something else as well) and at least one I checked took me to a russian site where the book it offered to download was a completely different book than the one I was looking for.

Some of the links take you to another online digital library Scribd where the book can be downloaded. That site appears to be legit.

When you put your cursor on the link check where it says the link is going. If it is bookfi that is the russian site. So far the other places It has listed appear to be OK.

The site might be OK if you just use it to find and download the books from google books or the other good sites..

krispy likes this.
  19. OldGoldGuy

Intentions are good and I did mention that some of the titles I went after were in foreign languages. With that said, I have already downloaded 4 books I have never even heard of, some over 150 years old. Virusy sites are a turn off for me too, but I do encourage you to browse through subjects of interest you have and you may be pleasantly surprised as to what you find.

Still feel like a dunce that I thought this was some form of official Google project. I figured they would have found and organized EVERYTHING for us and it would be like going to the numismatic library candy shop.

20. krispy

krispy krispy

Don't sweat it. It can be a useful site and like anything done online, others should be aware of where they navigate their browsers to and ever mindful of the content they download. That is up to the individual. I don't think anyone thought you linked here with bad intent. :)

21. littleguy

littleguy Member

That's Great!! Thanks for sharing

Draft saved Draft deleted