Goodness! Trying to understand need help

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Murillo, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

I have been going through all of my coins and weighing them and writing everything down to save for my grandchildren. Weighed pennies, nickels, dimes & now quarters.

Having said this I weighed some quarters that were 5.5 grams, 5.4, 5.6, 5.7, and a 1978 weighed 5.9 grams. So my question is the 5.9 which I weighed three times and every time it said 5.9 so is this like a 40% silver clad?

Trying to understand!!
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charley

charley Well-Known Member

No.
    Check battery. Check weight with the test bar that comes with it. Make certain level.

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hey Murillo, It's a little bit too "Chunky". Here's a great chart for weighing coins.....
    US Coins, weight Composition and Tolererances.jpg

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Probably just a thick rolled planchet.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Since 1965 quarters are 5.67 grams with a tolerance of ± 0.227 grams. This means that any quarter between 5.44 and 5.90 grams is within the mint's specs and correct metal , no error coin. If that is your balance, keep it calibrated, as it will round all figures off to only one number past the zero. +/- 0.01 gr is better, and +/- 0.001 is best for metallic differences. IMO, Jim

AdamL and Oldhoopster like this.
  7. Murillo

This is great! Thank you for the chart

8. Murillo

Great information, thank you!

9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I don't like what I can see of the edge of the coin from the obverse and reverse in these pictures, I'm suspecting someone ground off parts of two coins and glued them together. why would someone do it? I can't say, but people have done much more difficult things to coins than that.

could be just the pictures, but the edge in all of them keeps drawing my eye.

should weigh 5.67 grams with a tolerance of ± 0.227 grams so 5.9 is in theory possible to pass tolerance, as well as a 5.4 if you aren't checking grams to 100ths and the scale is rounding to nearest 10ths.

10. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

would be nice to see an edge picture of that quarter. Could be like John Burgess stated or could be not properly seated quarter in the collar, but that wouldn't effect the weight unless glued together. Also if you have a redbook coin book it has all the weights the coins should be too.

11. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

AND your scale appears to be only reading to 0.1 gram. Scales of that accuracy usually are +/-0.05 but many are +/-0.1

12. Murillo

Thank you, my scale is old so going to purchase a new one and also buy a red book. Appreciate the information. Here is the side of the quarter and I weighed it again

Attached Files:

13. Murillo

Thank you for the information, going to buy a new scale being this one is old. Going to buy a red book as well. Here is a picture of the side of this quarter and again I weighed it and again still reading 5.9 grams. Appreciate the information

Attached Files:

14. Murillo

Thank you for the information, just responded to others that my scale is old and going to purchase a new one and also going to buy a red book. Here is a picture of the side of this Quarter and I also weighed it again and again the weight is 5.9 grams. Thanks again

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted