Goodbye Clio

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Barry Murphy, Nov 8, 2019.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Are they so broad that sometimes he may not fully understand what he is collecting? For example: 'clio' won this Vespasian denarius https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=311165 which was promoted by CNG as an unrecorded type, it is not. The 'small genius' is actually part of the high back chair Ceres is seated upon.

I wanted the coin because I needed an RIC 1394. I wonder if 'clio' went after it because of the bogus 'unpublished' variant hype?

Stevearino and Curtisimo like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I just tried bidding for the first time and it entered my bid on the wrong coin. I'm sure CNG will retract the bid, which I asked them to do, but it was a weird glitch.

4. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I can't even seem to log in.

5. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I'm starting to understand how it works, but it has certainly become more cumbersome to use.

6. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

All the museum talk above ignores several possible gems: American Numismatic Society; American Numismatic Association British Museum; Berlin Museum. These organizations, and some others, have dedicated numismatic staff, large coin resources and a strong internet presence. All would be wonderful repositories for an important collection, if the collector is inclined.

However, for any museum gift of ancient coins, pre-1970 provenances will be required. Museums will not accept gifts of ancient coins that do not have such provenance. Some, but certainly not all, of Clio's collection will meet that standard. Those coins that don't meet the pre-1970 provenance standard will almost certainly go back to the trade at some point.

Draft saved Draft deleted