Featured Goodbye cardboard holders

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsman, Nov 24, 2019.

1. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsman

Marsman Well-Known Member

I read the following on the internet about flips:

“There is a widely held misconception about this, so let's repeat: there is no such thing as a PVC free unplasticized flip. An unplasticized flip is merely a PVC flip with less plasticizer, or chemical softener. As a result, unplasticized flips not only offer more rigidity, but are considered safer for coin storage than soft vinyl. This is why some manufacturers will refer to unplasticized flips as “Safe for long term storage”, or even "Archival". Ironically, unplasticized flips tend to be less popular among collectors who prefer the feel and elasticity of a soft flip. Just remember, when it comes to vinyl flips, the harder and more rigid the flip, the safer it is as a storage solution for your coins.

That’s why I decided to go for Saflips and not another brand.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. I really dislike the stiff flips - in my experience, you can open them up about twice before they split at the hinge. So I use the soft, unsafe ones. I've had coins in these for close to 30 years in some cases and yes, they will leave green stuff on silver - which you can pretty much rub off with your finger. As for bronze, I don't know - I only started collecting a lot of bronze recently. Which is to say they are risky, but I was frustrated by the stiff ones snapping in two if you looked at them wrong.

As for the inserts, I have come up with a system that works pretty well for me - I use 9 point type in twelve lines (I used an antique version of Microsoft Word, Times New Roman). I print them on cardstock (not labels - I can never line up stuff in the printer good enough for that). Then I cut them out with scissors. My scissor skills have not improved since Kindergarten, unfortunately.

This makes for a pretty full, but not crowded insert that fits in the flip. Here is an example:

Commodus - Den. Hilaritas Nov 2019 (1).JPG

Here is a more complicated insert - sometimes I have to print up a second insert for the back to fit in additional information:

Byz-Arab Imitation - follis lot Oct 2019 (1).JPG

Volodya, Bayern, longshot and 3 others like this.
  5. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

I had two full new old stock boxes of 2 1/4 x 3 1/2 manila coin envelopes for years and never found a use for them. I finally bought a custom rubber stamp and cut them in half for storing my duplicate stamps. The only people sending me coins in envelopes are some of the older dealers.

6. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

The Guardhouse flips are still rigid they just don’t seem as brittle as Saflips. They are also archival safe. Both are great brands.

Bayern and Roman Collector like this.
  7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Is it just me, or does anyone else have difficulty removing coins from those hard, brittle flips? I can't stand them for this reason.

I too moved away from cardboard holders about 4 or 5 years ago. Instead of those hard plastic flips, I decided to put my coins in paper envelopes. They are cheap, archival safe, allow plenty of room for attributions, and very traditional. Also, envelopes have the added bonus of more likely staying with the coins in the future. Not to mention they force you to handle your coins more.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  8. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have all raw graded coins in SAFLIPS. Rest are in NGC/ PGGS/ANACS slabs. I find the saflips arenot perfect, but close. They are safe for long term storage/ two pockets allow one for coin, other data label/ and they have pristine clear fields for admiring coin inside. I use 2X2 for most coins/ 2.5X2.5 for larger coins. IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0663.JPG

9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I have always wanted to have an old-fashioned numophylacium (coin cabinet) with felt-lined trays like Renaissance and early modern collectors. The problem is that when you have about a thousand coins, a cabinet is cost-prohibitive and takes up too much space.

Bayern, panzerman and Johnnie Black like this.
  10. panzerman

Cabinet storage sounds nice, but coins still are better protected from handling/ elements in SAFLIP holders. You can still have them in albums in a coin (book) style shelf.Many coins today, have "cabinet friction"=hairlines from that style of long term storage.
    John

Attached Files:

Bayern and Johndakerftw like this.
  11. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Paper envelopes.

Lots of room to write. I can put a little card in with the coin, if more is to be said or if one came with the coin originally.

Bayern likes this.
  12. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Well-Known Member

nice album but aren't you worried about when you turn the pages/close the album that they cause more wear to the coins at the bottom ? thats what put me off having them in a album

13. panzerman

Actually, I have the pages in separate plastic folders for storage. I can only place safely 6 pages in one album. Since I have 50 pages with coins/ all housed in SAFLIPS. I gave up on the album idea. Safest bet would to have whole collected in NGC/ PGGS slabs. I always worry when people handle SAFLIP coins. In order to look at any coin from both sides, one has to remove flip, since the one side has auction tag/ data label.
    John

14. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

I'm ashamed of myself. :oops::facepalm:

Attached Files:

JCKTJK likes this.
  15. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

No reason to be ashamed. It's not like they're ancients. ;>)

bruthajoe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted