Good Toning?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Sean5150, May 23, 2017.

?

What do you think of the toning

1. Great Toning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Good Toning

27.3%
  3. Doesn't Matter

45.5%
  4. Bad Toning

27.3%
  5. Horrible Toning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sean5150

Sean5150 Well-Known Member

I like this one, but thought it would be interesting to see what other people thought. I know it's nothing spectacular, but quick poll to see if it helps or hurts. CoinFacts_84051753_Max.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

In my experience, most proof collectors prefer cameo examples with high contrast, deep mirrors, and little to no toning. This blue hazy toning is common on proof coins and has a tendency to mute the mirrors of the fields. So while a few collectors might like this effect and consider it neutral with regard to price, most proof collectors will find the toning distracting and detrimental to the value of the coin.

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I agree with Lehigh on this one. I consider it unattractive and detrimental to the surfaces and the value.

I noticed that a couple of people voted "good toning." If you did, or if you consider this good - can you explain what you like about it and why?

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It's a bit hazy but not awful.

I don't love it, but I don't hate it, either.

In the poll, I went straight-down-the-middle-neutral on this one.

I pretty much agree with what @Lehigh96 said, though.

6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I think the toning adds nothing to the coin. It detracts, rather than adds. For a proof to be toned and attractive, it needs some genuine rainbow.

7. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

NT but not value adding

8. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

I would guess it's far more rainbow"ish"or opal in hand. Those proofs are difficult to shoot.

Draft saved Draft deleted