Good price for Hawaii Overprint note???

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by SavageFountain, Jan 15, 2017.

1. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

I have all the Hawaii notes you'd like in just about any condition from graded to worn, but not a Hawaii Star note. LMK exactly what you're looking for and for the right price, it's yours. Send me your Email and I'll send you pics

GoldFinger1969 and NOS like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

How's these? Care to get one or more? I sell the circulated ones for $20 IMG_4903.JPG

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    GoldFinger1969, NOS and Michael K like this.
  4. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Heritage auction has one up now. well circulated but has a current bid of $21

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I got offered a super-nice graded one with a low SN, but it was almost $1,500. Too rich for my blood. :(

HaleiwaHI likes this.
  6. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Yeah, you hear about a find like this occasionally. People somehow think they have been floating around in circulation for 70 years. But I'd bet money that every one came out of a collection, most often by theft. Typical time in circulation is however long it took to be spent at the nearest 7-11, where the cashier spotted it.

HaleiwaHI likes this.
  7. HaleiwaHI

HaleiwaHI Active Member

I can't imagine that some thief that steals them from someones collection even knows what he's stealing. To him, just another $5 note. Some of my worsest Hawaii $1 notes came from working on a demolition of a home here in the islands. Found them left under rubbish under the house. They must have been there for 50yrs or so. They're all in pretty bad shape, but they do have a story. Those ones are only worth about $6@ to me.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  8. GoldFinger1969

A pair of 67's -- $1 and $5 -- sold for $3,000 combined last year at HA.

I have a low-SN 67 myself and I wonder if the series has been lifted up by the general buying of currency during Covid.

9. GoldFinger1969

Some recent Hawaian note sales:

C-C 3396 sold for $348 (w/bp) in PMG 65.

C-C 590 sold for $528 (w/bp) in PMG 63.

C-C 15 sold for $2,300 (w/bp) in PMG 65 but it was signed by Treasury Secretary Morgenthau.

C-C 3340 sold for $384 (w/bp) in PMG 65.

Looks like there's been buying of the bills. I'd say 30-50% price jumps across the board. That 2nd bill sold for over $500.....it's a bit lower in serial number than mine by 150 or so....but mine is 4 grades higher.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  10. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

My Hawaii note is kind of a funny story. I was looking for one about 6 years ago, and at the time, really dingy examples sold for around $30. I found a listing on Ebay where the only pictures provided were taken from 5 ft away with the note in an old-yellowed sleeve. Could kind of see that it was a Hawaii note, but that was about it.

I figured heck, any condition is worth $30, so I bid $35 on it and won. I couldn't believe my eyes when the old yellow sleeve showed up in the mail and I pulled a mint fresh note out of there!!

Sent it to PCGS, came back 66 PPQ :woot:

Draft saved Draft deleted