Good or bad

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Bmagold, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Bmagold

Bmagold Active Member

Is there anything definitive on weather or not mint errors such as Struck through grease or lamination was helpful to a coins value or detrimental?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Impossible for a definitive answer as it depends on the coin and the effect of the error.

Just talking about a specific instance?
    Here is a IN GOD WE RUST quarter that sold for $31
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kansas-State-Quarter-Error-Coin-034-IN-GOD-WE-RUST-034-/202763679637

Here is a MS-66 of the same quarter that sold for $1.36
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-P-KANSAS-STATE-QUARTER-PCGS-MS66/254357259537

Writing this up and I am thinking of it as a sliding scale between common coins and grade. As the grade lowers, the effect may help the value. Like an AU would be worth more with the grease strike than an AU without, but another coin may never match the value of a MS coin. So to me, it depends on the coin itself, the condition, and the error/variety.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

This is silly. I don't agree with any premium for this issue. Grading for this "RUST" Quarter should not affect value niether!
    This confuses new collectors.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  5. paddyman98

The way I think of it there are 2 kinds of errors. Minor and major. (There are more types IMO but I want to keep it simple)

Here is my guide for the 2 asked about -

Minor error
    Struck through grease = low grade = no premium
    Struck through grease = high grade = no premium

Major error
    Lamination = low grade = premium
    Lamination = high grade = better premium

It depends on type, eye appeal, and rarity.

I'm sorry but the "RUST" quarter is a crime to put a premium on it :punch:

TyCobb likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It all depends on whether or not you are a bidiot.

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Neither do I, but wasn't fully sure of his question so I gave an instance where a grease strike beat an MS. I am still confused at how that thing could have had a bid war :confused:

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. paddyman98

We call them Bidiots :bucktooth:

9. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies Well-Known Member

Going with this. Is there a list as to what errors are considered more rare than others? Say a rotated die is more rare than a strong die clash( Not saying this is correct,Just an example). I'm not asking to the cost of a type of error coin, But more to the rarity.

10. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I wouldn't consider a clash to be an error. Personally, I consider 2+ strikes on a coin to be a very desirable error, along with some mules, complete missing clad layer, major off-centering with date, major multiple clips. All those will bring strong premiums.

11. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies Well-Known Member

I think you misread my statement. I don't care about any premium or value of any error. What I was asking was the RARITY of types of errors!

12. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

By definition, the more major the error the more rare it is. Major errors are much more likely to get caught by the mint prior to release. Very minor errors they likely do not even care about even if they do spot them.

If you really want to get relevant answers you need to look at a specific series. Some series have lots of errors of certain types and some have almost no errors of any type at all.

13. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

At least these were honest errors versus a purposeful W being placed on a coin purposefully. Genuine in that sense versus not. Older more traditional coins with missing parameters are revered so why not one day these too? It isn't like the mint purposefully left off letters in the motto like the other style.

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Struck through grease is fairly common in coins we get asked about.

Draft saved Draft deleted