Good ol 1943 1¢ MS

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Braydon, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Braydon

Braydon Make your own history, with history you can own.

Take a look at what's going on with this mm. What do you notice? It's a 1943 S steel in proof or mint.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

@Braydon I think you've been around long enough to know that 1. Full Image photos are preferred, 2. Photos of obverse and reverse are preferred, 3. Photos taken flat and cropped, and 4. Good close ups of the area in question are needed to answer your question.
    From what you have posted, I can't see anything well enough to guess at what you want us to notice.

expat likes this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Looks like a replated cent to me. A lot of wear on Abe's cheekbone which brings it into an VF/XF grade. An MS steel cent is difficult to find as a raw coin.
    As far as I know there are no proofs.

GeorgeM and ZoidMeister like this.
  5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

No proof coins were made in 1943. The US Mint didn't make any proof sets from 1943 through 1949. Also, (with possibly a few exceptions) proof coins were made at the Philadelphia Mint and had no mint mark. 1992 was the first year that the S mint mark appeared on proof coins. All proof sets since then have the S mint mark. The exceptions are Commemorative and American Eagle coins. Corrections welcomed. :)

Penny Luster likes this.
  6. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

Yes, PDS mint state coins were produced. No proofs. A lot of these were reprocessed also. Some better full pics may be able to determine that.

7. Braydon

Attached Files:

8. Braydon

Attached Files:

9. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

I borrowed these pics from a similar post that I started on the PCGS forum. The top picture is a reprocessed Cent. The bottom one is real. You may be able to use these to distinguish yours. I couldn't tell by your pics.
    Reprocessed:
    Reprocessed cent.jpg

Real Cent:

Real cent.jpg

Elendis and ZoidMeister like this.
  10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Look at the edge. Since these coins-to-be were punched out of zinc plated steel sheets.the edges should not look like the surfaces, they are more likely to be duller and even somewhat rusty compared to the surface. So show the edge and we can tell more readily. Bright edges =reprocessed. Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted