Good news for Morgan dollar collectors ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dwhiz, Jun 9, 2018.

1. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

There were some bags of peace dollars in the redfield hoard, but that's the only hoard i've heard of with full bags of them, and most of those were in bad shape from being tossed down a chute into his basement, and being shoveled up because some of the bags split.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Ouch. :(

On the other hand, if most weren't mishandled, the well-treated ones wouldn't command such a premium...

4. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

From what I have read, he only had common Philly early dates. Still Peace $'s not found in hoards.

5. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

6. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

I'm interested to see how these coins will effect top pops. I'm also betting since Jeff Garrett's gallery is dealing with the coins, 'Mid-American Rare Coin Galleries' that NGC is gonna put a special label on all the coins to "sell them for a higher price".

(Jeff looking for high grade coins through the hoard)
    [​IMG]

7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I read about it last night in the 3rd Edition of VAM. Pg 406 has a chart that shows the hoard had the following bags:
    1922-S - Few
    1923-S - Few
    1924-S - <1
    1925-S - 3-4
    1926-S - Many
    1927-S - 3-5
    1928-S - Several
    1935-S - <1

It only makes sense that most of the bags would be from SF, and I typed too soon.

8. -jeffB

I'd have more respect for him if he didn't have that tourniquet cutting off circulation to his brain while he's working (as opposed to impressing the rubes...) :rolleyes:

BlackBeard_Thatch likes this.
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Yes, we’ll learn the REAL truth about Morgan dollars - VERY FEW rainbow toners, but some. (MUCH lower percentage than the existing market. Hmm.) And the VAST majority will be BLAST STINKING WHITE and not ever dipped. Yes, I’m suggesting a significant number of present Morgan toners are manufactured fakes.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Stevearino likes this.
  10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Careful there Kurt, you may be disproving another catch all old time theory

-jeffB likes this.
  11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm confused.........

12. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

My whole point and intent.

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Right there with you. I've argued against the whole everything had to be dipped if its old and still blast white theory many times.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not really. 16,000 coins? NGC get around 250,000 coins a month so you are only talking about a 7% or so increase in throughput.

They have enough they can get bulk rates down to $8 to $10 for slabbing.

15. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

How will that be different from the 200 million "BLAST STINKING WHITE" Morgans that were released in the 60s-- of which this 16k hoard was part of?

16. -jeffB

People won't have had 50 years to forget what they looked like when they were first released?

17. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Yes, of course, so many subtleties involved with blast white. It's easy to forget the list.

18. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I wonder if there are any 1885 S. I thought those were better date Morgan's for S.F.? 1883,84,85?

19. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Yawn
    So in other words, you hate Morgans like the Grinch hates Christmas .....
    I get it... I loathe Carr's manufactured fakes

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted