Good luck at Heritage today

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by El Cazador, May 16, 2021.

1. El Cazador

El Cazador Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,

Finally got lucky at Heritage today, tagging @Al Kowsky - I am confident he will appreciate this coin...

Below description and image are from Heritage.

Please post your most recent wins (last 3 weeks)

Thank you!!

Prieur Plate Coin
    CYRRHESTICA. Hierapolis. Caracalla (AD 198-217). BI tetradrachm (27mm, 13.07 gm, 12h). NGC XF★ 4/5 - 4/5, die shift. AD 215-217. AVT•Κ•M•A•ΑΝ-ΤΩΝЄΙΝΟC CЄ-B•, radiate, draped and cuirassed half-length bust of Caracalla left, seen from front / ΔΗΜΑΡ•X ЄΞ•Υ-ΠΑΤΟC TO•Δ•, eagle standing facing, head and tail right, wreath in beak, wings spread; on top of lion advancing right. Prieur 941 (this coin)

9BD983CF-FC43-476F-A585-F9AD273B1DD9.jpeg

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow, that is very nice. Here is my plate coin. This one is from Michel Prieur's personal collection.

SELEUCIS and PIERIA, Antioch. Augustus. 27 BC-AD 14. AR Tetradrachm
    (27mm, 14.56 g, 12h).
    In the name and types of the Seleucid king Philip I Philadelphus. Dated year 26 of the Caesarean Era (24/23 BC).
    Obv: Diademed head of Philip I right within fillet border
    Rev: Zeus Nicephorus seated left; monogram to inner left and below throne, ςK (date) and thunderbolt in exergue; all within wreath.
    Prieur 19; McAlee 19 (this coin illustrated); RPC I 4142; SC 2491.16; HGC 9, 1360p. Toned, some porosity and surface striations.
    Fine. Rare, seven known to Prieur, and two in CoinArchives.
    From the Michel Prieur Collection, purchased privately from Richard McAlee.
    CNG E-Auction 451 Lot 272 September 4, 2019

Augustus_Phillip_tet_new-removebg-preview.png

4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

El Cazador, Congrats on scoring this rare & historically important coin :happy:! Win Callender sent me a notice that the coin was to be auctioned today but I had made other plans & missed the auction. I have yet to add a Tet from Hierapolis (Holy City) to my collection; they rarely come up for sale. The coin couldn't have a better provenance than coming from Prieur's personal collection :cool:.

Orfew, DonnaML and El Cazador like this.
  5. Cinco71

Cinco71 Well-Known Member

Picked this one up today at the Heritage Auction. The toning and portrait really caught my eye. Who knows when it’ll arrive in the mail. More expensive than I hoped, but then that’s nothing new this year.

23D4EE34-795C-4DF8-B467-C04780CCC460.jpeg

F7A45A87-A580-4F7B-8807-D6E9759A94D1.jpeg

Orfew, DonnaML, El Cazador and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted