Good indicators of a fake double eagle?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by coingeek12, May 19, 2024.

1. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

So I’m pretty sure what I’ve come across is a fake, but I wanted to see what are some good indicators of a fake?

pictures from the “seller” in the next post. I’m currently trying to get better quality ones. I’m mainly trying to use this as practice for IDing a fake, if it’s real I might consider buying it but I’m not sure

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coingeek12

IMG_0456.png IMG_0455.png Something that stuck out to me was the edge of the coin itself, just looks off, but maybe I’m just tweaking and that’s not the blatant indicator I’m assuming it is

4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The designs are a poor copy of the real thing. The general "look" is that of the St. Gaudens design, but the details are all off.

This is only a guess, but this might be one of these miniature novelty pieces that have been made over the years. Those are smaller than a dime.

Here is an example of the real thing. You can see that the details on the piece in the OP are not really close.

1907 High Relief $20 All.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2024
  5. coingeek12

Thanks much for the explanation! I was 99.99% sure it was a fake but couldn't pin point exactly why I felt that way, that makes a lot of sense. The comparison makes it look like the uncanny valley version of the real thing lol

johnmilton likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted