Good grading service??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Noah Finney, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

I don't know the best coin grading services there are. the four I know of are PCGS, ANACS, NGC, and ICG. I don't know of any others or which is the best of those 4. if there is a good and cheap grading service I would be glad to hear of that to. Thanks for helping.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Those are the only four credible grading services. PCGS and NGC are the big 2.

Noah Finney likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Poor fellow.....what is it you wish to grade? Certain grading services, for whatever your needs are, are better than others. Enlighten the unworthy......:)

5. ddddd

ddddd Member

It depends what coins you have and your intentions are with them (collect or sell). In many cases, there is no need to send a coin in for grading at all (i.e. if you're looking to sell and the grading fee is more than the coin sells for slabbed, then you really shouldn't send it in...or if you have an AU 1881-S Morgan). In general, PCGS and NGC holders will bring the most money when selling and are the most popular. Anacs and ICG are both cheaper (especially when they run a special), but coins in those holders tend to sell for less. If you are looking to certify a particular Morgan VAM or a Carr item, Anacs or ICG might be best.

While I am one that collects various holders, I would not recommend submitting coins to any TPGs outside the top 4.

6. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Most people who have never sent anything in for grading will have sticker shock once they add up the fees. The cheapest services offered aren't what most would call cheap. And then they have so many problems they can find to where the fees go to waste even worse if you get a details label. If you send 5 coins in to one of the top two, for the cheapest services available, expect to be around $25 to $35 per coin depending on the add-ons you request. That's including shipping to and from. Prices go up from there.

longshot likes this.
  7. Noah Finney

1923 UNC. peace dollar

8. ddddd

ddddd Member

Assuming it is a Philadelphia 1923, unless it's an MS 66, it would not be worth grading. You can buy an MS 65 already graded for $65-$85. If you send your coin in, it will be around $20 just in grading fees (plus shipping and handling fees). If the coin hits MS 65, you'd likely break even at best. Feel free to attach a picture and we can give you an opinion if the coin has a shot of grading above 65.

Note: your coin may well be a fantastic part of your collection and you should enjoy it. There is just no need to spend extra money when it is not warranted.

9. Idries Pappas

Idries Pappas Well-Known Member

Could you post pictures?

10. Noah Finney

11. Noah Finney

I got The pictures for guys. Thanks!

12. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

ICG is not a credible grading service.

Noah Finney likes this.
  13. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I'd say buy it a nice airtite to show it the love.

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Put it into a nice hard plastic holder. Since photos are not always representative, I would put that coin in the 63-64 category, less than the grading service. You can always pull it out again in a few years and see if it has more possibilities to you . Jim

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

False! ICG is a top 4 grading service and has plenty of experienced graders working there. The ICG holder may not bring as much money as PCGS/NGC, but their grading fees and turnaround times are better than the top 2.

Noah Finney likes this.
  16. ddddd

ddddd Member

And I agree with a few of the others. There is no need to grade the pictured Peace Dollar. Keep it in your collection and use the $20 or so grading fee to further build your set.

green18 and Noah Finney like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted