Good for tokens and some history with pics!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TheNoost, Jun 4, 2011.

1. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Guess I'll start with the tokens...

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Here are some pics of the store..

Attached Files:

4. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Across the street from the store, the mill is to the right..

Attached Files:

5. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

looking out of the store still, this is to the right.I think it may have been the post office at one time. The mill is behind this building to the left...

Attached Files:

6. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

The mill..

Attached Files:

• Mill.jpg
      Mill.jpg
      File size:
      232.8 KB
      Views:
  7. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

The story...

VILLAGES AND POST-OFFICES

In the spring of 1849 two brothers, Guy N. and Abner Roberts, came from Chemung Co., N.Y., and bought a tract of 40 acres of land in the north part of section 36, in this town, with the intention of founding thereon a village. The first thing to which they turned their attention was the building of a grist-mill, to utilize the water-power furnished by the Bo-bish-e-nung Creek, which at this point had a fall of over thirteen feet, affording one of the finest powers, on a stream of its size, within the limits of the State. While getting out the timbers for the mill, a house was built on the north side of the present highway for the use of Guy N. Roberts, and another one on the opposite side of the way for the occupancy of Abner's family. The former building, which was the first in the place, is now a part of the residence of Isaac V. D. Cook, while the other is now the residence of Martin L. Davis. From this small beginning has sprung the pleasant little village of

CHEMUNGVILLE

The mill-frame was raised in July, and the dam was finished at about the same time. In September the mill was completed and ready to commence operations. During that summer the Roberts' built a small store, and offered a general stock of goods for sale therein. In a couple of years the village began to show signs of growth, and Messrs. Roberts decided to plat a village, and offer lots for sale, to attract mechanics and artisans to build up the place. The plat was surveyed by the county surveyor, Amos Adams, July 13, 1852,, and recorded on the 14th in the county register's office, in liber 18, pages 30, 31. It contained about 8 acres, and the lots were surveyed on either side of a street running first northeast and then east from the creek. It was platted by Guy N. and Susan and Abner and Priscilla Roberts, and called Chemungville, after the county they came from in New York. An addition was platted by Isaac V. D. and Abigail Cook, Nov. 2, 1871, and surveyed by E. N. Fairchild, county surveyor. It was on a street running north, at right angles with the main street, contained about 2¼ acres, and was recorded Dec. 14, 1871. The mill and store property was sold by the Roberts, some time about 1854---55, to Burton Durfee, who soon after sold to David Mason. After owning it two or three years he sold to John Weimeister. During his ownership he found the store too small for his use, and about 1865 built a larger one near it, which is now the store of Martin L. Davis. Soon after he built another building on the east side of the old store, which he rented for a billiard-room, and which is now occupied as a dwelling by William Kleckler. The third dwelling was the present Methodist parsonage, and was erected by Robert Souders.

The first blacksmith-shop was a building put up for an ashery by the Roberts', and sold by them to a Mr. Zela, who worked there with Simon Dolph. In 1867, Messrs. J. & T. Pearce bought the mill property of John Weimeister, a saw-mill, built by William and Holland C. Hosley, having meantime been added, and began a successful business career as millers, lumbermen, and merchants.

In 1869, Isaac V. D. Cook built a store on the corner near his residence, and his sons, William and Lorenzo, opened a grocery there. It was subsequently occupied by William Kleckler, and then, as a harness-shop, by Winthrop Cook, in 1875. Since August, 1879, it has been occupied by Myron Doolittle, as a wagon- repairing, and cabinet-shop.

In 1871, David Bissell put up a small building, and started a shoe-shop. It was afterwards sold to a Mr. Angell, and is now occupied as a storeroom by Pearce Brothers. Messrs. Pearce built their present fine store in 1876. The school-house was built in 1861, and the church in 1872. The grist-mill is now in excellent condition and presents a fine appearance. It is called "Bogue Mill," and stands on the east side of the stream. Its size is 35 by 45 feet, two and a half stories above the level of the street, and one story and the wheel-pits below that. It is furnished with two runs of stones and the usual accompanying machinery; has a capacity for grinding 10 bushels of wheat and 20 bushels of corn per hour. It is run simply for custom work at present. The necessary power is furnished by two iron turbine wheels, each 42 inches in diameter. The saw-mill building is 20 by 50 feet in size, and furnished with one muley saw, with a cutting capacity of about 3500 feet of hard-wood lumber per day. Its product is used mostly for home consumption. The village is pleasantly situated on lightly rolling ground, and contains, at the present time, two stores, a gristmill and saw-mill, two blacksmith-shops) one cabinet- and wagon-shop, one shoe-shop, a school 456. house, a Methodist Church, and about twenty-five dwellings, six of them west of the stream, and consequently not in the platted part of the village. The population is about 125.

The post-office at Chemungville is called Oak Grove, a name it has always borne. It was first established some thirty years ago, at the house of the first postmaster, a Mr. Fry, who resided near the northwest corner of the town of Oceola. He was succeeded, in 1833, by Arthur A. Field, who lived in the southeast part of section 36, in this town. His successor was Joel S. Stillson. From his possession, it was transferred to Holland C. Hosley, at the village where it has since remained, passing successively through the hands of Robert McMillan, Isaac V. D. Cook, John Weimeister, Martin L. Davis, and back to Isaac V. D. Cook, the present incumbent, who was last commissioned in 1874. It is now kept at J. & T. Pearce's store.

go to http://www.memoriallibrary.com/MI/Livingston/1880/Cohoctah Twp/c.htm to learn more!

8. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Anyone have more info on the tokens?

9. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Great thread Noost! You must love the research opportunities that tokens provide like I do. I like unraveling mysterys, and when I find a maverick counterstamp or other type of token I go all out to try to attribute it. I don't have anything to add to your research, but it looks like you've pretty much got it figured out. Good piece and an interesting read. Congrats!

Bruce

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Thanks for the nice photos & write-up.

I can't comment further on your tokens but I can share two that I purchased on Memorial Day holiday.

One is from the Paradise Tavern which today is known as Foxies Restaurant in New Britain Connecticut. (I don't visit New Britain often & I've got no photos of the restaurant).

The other token is good for a hamburger at Hardees. You will never go hungry as long as you have one of these tokens. Does anyone know the date of this Hardees token?

Attached Files:

11. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

12. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

I grew up in Chemung County. So that was very interesting.

13. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

you may also remember Rolisons Hardware in Brighton sodude. I found some 1922 checks from there and took a pic of the store too.
    http://www.cointalk.com/t174808/

Draft saved Draft deleted