Good day to hang out on eBay...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by -jeffB, Feb 27, 2016.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

...at least, I hope so.

After diving in on the $100 for $95 gift code mentioned in another thread today, I was camping out for a bit on the new BIN listings, and found this:

2 - 14 coins 2011 Silver Mint Proof sets as rec'd from US Mint - boxes worn

$48.75 shipped, and as best I can figure, two sets contain $3.70 FV of silver, melt value a bit over $39, plus $10.12 FV of dollars, cents and nickels. In practice, it looks like 2011 silver sets trade at a bit more of a premium than that; the cheapest recent 14-coin set went for $35, and they commonly get $50 or more BIN.

On the other hand, I see that the same seller has a couple of 2007 sets listed for $41 and $42, so it's possible that he meant this to be a "2 available" listing, not a single price for both sets. We'll see.

And, here went the balance of today's gift code:

8 melt related us dollars.

Five cull Morgans and three cull Peace dollars for $101.54 shipped. No, I'm not too proud to buy cull dollars at $12.69 each. :)

So, now that that's over with, maybe I should go back and see about buying another $100 GC (this time strictly with PayPal balance). If it's getting easy to find BIN deals again, maybe I can be a bit more confident about tying up money in eBay credit...

Kirkuleez likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, do not get another gift card with the same paypal account. I made the mistake of buying 2 gift cards with different ebay accounts, and got both taken away. They said one per account, which I took to mean ebay account. Ooops.

4. -jeffB

Yes, that's the kind of nonsense that would offend me. As I noted on the other thread, when I tried to buy a second GC with the same eBay account, I was blocked before I could pay. That makes sense to me.

It appears that I may have technically violated the terms and conditions by using older GCs to buy the new GC; I don't know whether the T&C on the old GCs were different. In any event, all the GCs are spent now (on eBay coin auctions), so if eBay or PayPal wants to back out from their end, they'll have a good bit of cleanup to do.

5. -jeffB

Just to follow up, apparently everything went through fine. One of the 2011 silver sets was missing the four-dollar slab, but I sure didn't want to unwind the whole deal, so I asked if the seller could just refund me the face value of the four dollars; he bounced me back 5, and I left glowing feedback.

The dollars were exactly as advertised, including the one with horns and the one with a loop soldered to the top. I may attack those with my newly-reconditioned micro-torch.

Passed on a few BINs that were a bit below melt, including one lot of 40% halves that were a bit under $2 each, but jumped on two more:

Group 50 Silver Mercury Dime Coin's VG+ @ Below Scrap

$46.60 shipped, and I sold a roll of junk silver dimes at last weekend's coin show for $60.75 to lock in profit. :rolleyes:

1964 Kennedy Half-Dollars - 90% Silver 20-Coin Roll

$100.50 shipped. Even came in a nice square roll, and they're in nice shape. They should bring a bit of a premium over other junk silver when I decide to sell.

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted