Gone LRB crazy...again

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Apr 25, 2015.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

As I keep saying. I DON'T COLLECT LRB. but apparently I am not listening to myself.
    I have added a few more to the every expanding pile of LRB that I am apparently not collecting.

Here is one of my recent aditions:-

Constantine II AE3
    Obv:– CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB CAES, Laureate, draped amd cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– CLARITAS REIPVBLICAE, Sol standing left, right hand raised, holding globe in left with cloak draped over left shoulder
    Minted in Thessalonica (//.TSB.).
    Reference:– RIC VII Thessalonica 23 (R2)

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

And the next to my non-collection

Constantine II - AE3
    Obv:– CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, Laureate, bust left, wearing imperial mantle, holding Victory on globe in right hand and mappa in left
    Rev:– VIRTVS EXERCIT, two captives seated at foot of banner inscribed VOT/XX in two lines
    Minted in Aquileia (S | F //AQT).
    Reference:– RIC VII Aquileia 56 (R4)

[​IMG]

4. maridvnvm

And the latest of my recent distractions

Constantine II - AE3

Obv:– CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, Laureate, bust left, wearing imperial mantle, holding Victory on globe in right hand and mappa in left
    Rev:– BEATA TRAN-QVILLITAS, Altar inscribed VO/TIS/XX, surmounted by globe with plain vertical lines and diagonals between horizontal lines, three stars above
    Minted in Trier (//PTR.).
    Reference:– RIC VII Trier 353 (R2)

[​IMG]

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Huh, never seen a bust of Constantine II holding Victory on globe. Guess I dont look at them hard enough. Cool.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm with ya bud. I don't collect 'em either, but somehow I keep collecting 'em. Those are three very nice looking coins.

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Denial is a powerful thing :D.

8. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Martin, you should go on your effort of not collecting them, you're good at that !

Q

9. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

At least ya' got good tastes for your craziness. :D

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

rx5810b01878lg.jpg rx5840bb0927.jpg

The recent VAuctions had a decent Claritas from Ticinum that looked a bit like my Rome. I passed since I was bidding too much on other coins but some of the LRB's went below what I expected because they simply get no respect from the moneyed gentry. I don't pay big money for these but do pick them up when I see a reasonable one. That is why mine are never as nice as yours. Constantine II had several nice coins as Caesar but the ones I think people might want to pick up when cheap are the ones as Augustus.
    rx5970bb2267.jpg

TIF, Pishpash, chrsmat71 and 5 others like this.
  11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow, great lookin' additions Martin & Doug ... congrats!! (great coins)

Oh, and now I don't feel so bad for making a senseless, random purchase (thanks => misery loves company, my coin-friends)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Okidoki likes this.
  12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

A terrific variety of LRB guys!!! Those more 'uncommon' examples are anything but boring!

stevex6 likes this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Most boring coins are so classified because we failed to study then closely enough to know what there is to know. I admit there are a lot of coins I find boring but I also realize that I'm more boring than the vast majority of them so I should not be too hard on them.

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i started with LRB, kind of got tired of them...but i've never really given up on them. i have a handful on my desk now that i'm going through that i never bothered to photograph, thinking nobody would really want to see them. i'll try to post them this week.

Mikey Zee and stevex6 like this.
  15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I DO collect LRB's, and I applaud your choices. I haven't yet acquired one of the Victory/mappa bust types of Constantine II, but I do have some appropriate coins to add to the thread.

Here is my two-captives/standard type, Constantine I...

con2cap.jpg

Beata, Constantine I...

conI_beata.jpg

And for young busts of Caesars, Licinius II...

licinius ii campgate.jpg

And a rare type for Constantine II...

constantineIIpi.jpg

Mikey Zee, maridvnvm, stevex6 and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted