Goldfinger's Shiny Silver Friends

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GoldFinger1969, Feb 5, 2015.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Done ! :D Bought the coin. Excited -- and sick -- at the same time. Like when you take an important test and think you did well...and dreaded hearing others discuss the test after and saying that answers they swapped were different than yours. :eek:

Thanks to all my Morgan experts for your help. Hopefully, I got a nice coin and didn't screw up your advice.

JPeace$ likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Get used to that feeling GF! LMAO. You'll be happy! A very nice 67.

4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I like the Morgan-- it is a nice, PL common date 64 that is attractive. Typical 64 PL, with the usual bagginess that Morgans have, but nice surfaces. Definitely approve!!

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. GoldFinger1969

Thanks JPC...I'll post some good pics once I have the coin in hand. Picking it up tomorrow or Monday, depending on snowfall here in the NYC area.:D

6. GoldFinger1969

Thanks MD...coming from an expert, that means alot. Look for my next purchase pics soon.

Any suggestions on how to fight Morgan addictiveness ? :D

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Seated dollars. ;)

8. Morgandude11

Gee, if you have any suggestions, please pass them along. Have been collecting Morgans for over 40 years, and buying entirely two many of them. I think you are caught up in the fact that it is a beautiful and fascinating coin--common in most dates, yet exotic enough to be highly desired, with some key dates virtually unaffordable. It has the mystique of the "Old West" along with it, and the charm of Carson City in the 13 CC dates as well.

9. GoldFinger1969

Agreed...some new books have come out on Morgan Dollars and also the Carson City GSA Hoard, any recommendations ? Have you checked them out ?

10. GoldFinger1969

Just Acquired (& Need Help): OK, I got my coin....lo and behold, it's not only an MS-67 1879-S Morgan Silver Dollar, but it's also got CAC. :D

Pictures attached, PLEASE chime in Morgan experts as I have a 5-day return if you think I overpaid or if it's (grossly) overgraded (I don't but I'm not a grading or MSD expert).

1 Big Problem: The coin has some damage to the lower part of the slab (I took some pics but it's tough to see). My major fear would be that the coin and/or slab are counterfeit, but given it's an older green PCGS slab and also has CAC, I lean against that. However, if these things are sonically sealed and airtight I am wondering if that isn't the case and if maybe I should send it back to PCGS for repair (if possible). I don't detect any bumps running my fingers along the bottom, the damage appears to be INTERNAL but I'm a bit wary. Slab experts, help !! ;)

Sorry to be a worrywart, but I never paid this much before in terms of premium for a coin so I'm a bit cautious. I think it's a nice coin but the 'cloudy plastic fissures' scare me for either the counterfeit or air situation.

Attached Files:

11. GoldFinger1969

Here's a few more photos of the bottom of the slab:

Attached Files:

12. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@GoldFinger1969 , don't worry about the slab damage. It happens. I find the PCGS slabs to be more brittle and susceptable to some of the thin stacking guides getting damaged. Take solace in the fact that CAC looked at the coin in THAT holder and didn't find anything nefarious; otherwise, it would not have been blessed.

I like the coin a lot. It's easy for me to say, but stop worrying....lol.

If you are uncomfortable spending that much on a Morgan, I would suggest spending time on the Heritage website looking at MS67 Morgans in their auction archives. Also, try to find a local coin show and spend time viewing Morgans in-hand. Before buying anymore ~$1K Morgans, familiarize yourself so you'll feel comfortable when you lay out that kind of cash.

13. GoldFinger1969

Thanks JPC...appreciated.

Doing more surface examining, I think maybe it was dropped and/or just with a bunch of other (dirty) slabs...there is some residue on the PCGS hologram (feels like grimy dirt) and a bit of sticky stuff above the "7092" on the front. I guess a Q-tip and hot water should be OK to remove both, right ? I won't use alcohol.

Probably not a bad idea, I have been going through some stuff lately and kinda 'treated' myself. That is sound advice and I will do it. I also intend to do alot of looking at the next few coin shows. Before, it was just Saints.:D

14. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

You can also try using car wax on the slab to clean the scuff marks. There's a product called slab renew (I own some) that works pretty well too. Here's a product I haven't tried, but I trust this company (i've bought a lot of stuff from them):

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/plastic-polish/

Congrats on your '79-S!!

15. GoldFinger1969

Thanks JPC....I have ordered some nice stuff from Wizard before, think I will get some. Ever get some of their nice wood/glass individual coin holders ? The 79-S is going to get one, before only the Saints had 'em.:D

JPeace$ likes this.
  16. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

No I haven't. My sister got me a beautiful multi-tiered mahogany display case for coins. The inserts are for raw coins, so I have yet to see if they have inserts designed to hold graded coins.

17. GoldFinger1969

Here's what I am talking about; they have mahogany 25 and 50-count boxes to hold slabs. I have 1 of each:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002W61F9K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They also have cool individual holders, great for your best coins:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00450O7RI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can buy those with or without glass. I love the glass....great protection yet you can show it without lifting up the lid. :D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  18. Morgandude11

The coin is genuine, appropriately graded, but honestly--- who needs a common date MS 67 for that much money, unless the intent is to assemble a registry set. There are plenty of 65s that look as nice, and don't cost that kind of money.

19. GoldFinger1969

I cashed in some change I had been saving to get a really nice one with CAC. I agree with your statement. My next ones will be more scarce mints/years, lower-gradeds.

Thanks for the confirmation about the coin, MD...appreciate it.

20. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

While I respect your opinion, maybe he @GoldFinger1969 just wanted one? I can think of more wasteful spending.

21. throwbackid

throwbackid Well-Known Member

Though I do tend to agree, the lurer of a PGCS top 10 Morgan set is appealing. Wait till you get to the 1892-95s in the higher grades those prices get sick.

GoldFinger1969 and Morgandude11 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted