Golden Oldie Small Talk (literally)

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by 2MuchStuff, Jul 30, 2015.

1. 2MuchStuff

2MuchStuff Member

This has been in the family at least since my grandfather, if not before. So hard to take pics of this tiny thing. Only thing I know is that they call it a "Cal Frac". Really sucks that a piece of the rim is missing. Bill

GOLD QUARTER DOLLR OBVERSE CROPPED 2.jpg GOLD QUARTER DOLLR REVERSE CROPPED.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Actually:

California Fractional ($)

2MuchStuff likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

very cool piece. wait for other opinions...

2MuchStuff likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I think that's where someone bit into it to see if it was genuine gold! :smuggrin:
    Nice.. thanks for sharing.

2MuchStuff likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Nah! They wanted to buy a piece of Bazooka!

Chris

2MuchStuff, spirityoda and paddyman98 like this.
  7. 2MuchStuff

2MuchStuff Member

Must have had pretty sharp teeth to bit a teeny piece off something that would fit within a paperclip. Maybe a chipmunk. :beaver:

tobiask, spirityoda and paddyman98 like this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Cool piece Bill. Looks like someone sliced off a piece to pay for some eggs......:)

2MuchStuff likes this.
  9. 2MuchStuff

2MuchStuff Member

Don't know if they had "penny candy" way back then. Think I'll go raid the fridge now.:hungry:

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Of course they did! I saw it on "Little House on the Prairie".

Chris

2MuchStuff and spirityoda like this.
  11. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

The photos seem to match the written description of an authentic California Fractional piece. In R.H. Burnie's reference book, the description of No. 60 seems to match very well, which is very similar to the description for No. 57 in the Quarter Dollar Octagon Section.

Description for No. 57:
    Obv. - Small Liberty head, 13 stars, 1870 and letter G under head and both slanting slightly to the right. Tip of neck points to first star on left, with peak of coronet pointing between 6th & 7th stars. Stars mostly crude.

Rev. - 1/4 Dollar Cal, in an open wreath, the 1/4 in opening and has a slightly slanting solidus, with some double cutting on the 1, 4 and solidus. Plain wreath with nine berries. Letters in Dollar and Cal out of line with R in Dollar recut. There are no crossbars in either of the A's. No bow-knot. Sawtooth border, attempted reeded edge.

Description for No. 60:
    Obv. - Like No. 57

Rev. - Like No. 57, except there is a period after Cal. Wreath has 4 berries each side, with two of them beneath the word Cal. Like Lee No. 43.

2MuchStuff likes this.
  12. 2MuchStuff

2MuchStuff Member

Thanks a bunch for the details. I'll keep the info tucked away with the piece. Bill

Draft saved Draft deleted