Gold Sogdian imitative

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by medoraman, Aug 10, 2016.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I was able to pick this up yesterday. Its a barbaric copy of a byzantine gold piece. Its ex-Dmitry Markov, a world leader in Sogdian coinage and apparently unpublished.

Sogdia to my knowledge never struck any gold coinage. The closest they ever got was imitative issues like this one and the thin, very rare one sided pieces. I posted one of them a couple of years ago here, and it was not everyone's cup of tea. That is fine, and I am sure this is not some's either, but it about all there is out there for gold coins from this very little understood region. I know I am biased, but I think owning a gold coin struck on the ancient Silk Road, coupled with the fact one of the world leaders in this coinage declares it unpublished, is pretty cool. :)

soggold.jpg

Byzantine Imitative. Central Asian imitation of an Heraclius solidus. 610-641 or later. AV solidus (19.4 mm, 1.85 g, 1 h). Busts of Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine / VHNVW LVVIIIV (barbarous legend), Cross on steps. Unpublished, apparently unique. VF.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Any coin struck on the Silk Road is a winner in my book!

Theodosius likes this.
  4. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Ah, I see now! I didn't think the Sogdians struck any gold, and I've only ever seen these referred to as "Silk Road area." There's an article on at least the bracteates in Coins, Art, and Chronology, which I think you have a copy of.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  5. medoraman

Yes, thanks, bracteates is what I was trying to think of earlier. I have one bracteate, which themselves are pretty rare. I think I have seen 3 for sale in the last decade that I have noticed.

The problem with imitative gold coins is proving where they were minted. If this coin didn't have the Markov pedigree, it would have been harder to associate this with Central Asia, as opposed to somewhere else.

Btw, yes, maybe I stretch it a little with "Sogdian". By the time this coin was minted, the Sogdians were still the predominant people's in the region, but Turks and Hepthalites mainly controlled their city leadership. So the government power was no longer Sogdian, but the people remained the same. I choose to do this intentionally with Sogdia, since there were Seleucids, Bactians, Yeuh Chi, Kidarites, Hepthalites, Turks, Chinese, and muslim rulers interspersed throughout the period when they struck pre-Islamic coinage. Therefor, it simply gets to be to arbitrary to try to assign who might have been in charge if not Sogdians at the time. Therefor, I just assign the coins to the people or region separate from political control.

Its a very messy political mess to deal with, coupled with the fact in many, (most), cases we simply do not have any hard facts to work on.

chrsmat71 and Ardatirion like this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That's a cool addition & congrats on being the new owner.

* Watches Chris throw it into the hoard stacks to be forgotten...:(;)*

Jwt708 and Ardatirion like this.
  7. medoraman

Lol. Why it may get put away in a box, like the gold bracteates I own it will not be forgotten. Its simply too rare and its kind of a prized holding amongst all of the bronzes and silvers in my Sogdian boxes.

8. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Thats a good gold coin, I don't have any or understand the imitation coins so its an interesting read for me.

9. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

That's so very interesting and way COOL!!! And it's a solidus to boot!!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  10. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Interesting coin of an enticing place and period. Did Markov give a reference or a place where the coin was found? Often, with imitations the problem is that it's unknown where they have been coined.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  11. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I saw that - awesome coin!

12. medoraman

He didn't, but he specializes in coins found in the former Soviet Union. Plus, there are other types of imitative Byzantine coins attributed to the same area. So this is not unique in that they have never seen a imitation gold Byzantine from the area, but this type has never been published before. I have seen two Justinian imitations with similar weights also attributed to the region.

13. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was curious if you can find reference about this type of coins. I only knew a few bracteates, imitations from earlier solidi. Could you mention the author and title of the article you mentioned?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  14. david clark

david clark Member

what is the actual physical evidence that places this coin so far east ? we are placing this near samarkand, the central asian silk road area? I dont see it, of course Im a newbie to silk road issues, it may be more ignorance than scholarship on my part, but do you or does anybody know what the markers are on the coin that Dimitry used to reach his conclusion?

15. medoraman

I imagine findspot and similar imitative gold coins found in the area. Here is some I found on Zeno.ru.

http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=121152
    http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=51608
    http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=89358
    http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=111343

Maybe they ALL are bracteates, and some bracteates are simply thinner, and others fatter, than others.

16. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Cool coin. There is something attractive about a unpublished coin.
    Sounds like one you should send to NGC or PCGS.
    My unpublished coin is tiny:
    Salapia.jpg
    Salapia rev.jpg
    The dolphin is swimming the wrong way => it is unpublished. HNI has one swimming the other way, but has limited info on this series.

Italy. Northern Apulia, Salapia; 275-250 BC.
    Obv. Dolphin left;above [...]ΑΠΙΝΩΝ.
    Rev. Dolphin right.
    HN Italy -. Cf. 689. SNG ANS -. Garrucci -.
    AE, 3.40 grams, 14.50 mm, RRR. Good VF. Apparently unpublished. Nice light-green patina.

Johndakerftw, icerain and TIF like this.
  17. david clark

david clark Member

so those are interesting, seems i can generally place the origin geographically by the style/design/quality... my guesses

121152... yes over by the Kashgar area. kind of early saka maybe when they were still migrating south?
    51608 ... reverse looks very bactrian/greek influence
    89358 .... hunnic looking piece
    111343.... has a scythian look right?

this new one from dmitry, I dont really see any other style but a crude byzantine style... would north black sea area be considered silk road? I think there were 2 main western branches, right, one north to russsia, the other to persia and west...

18. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Are these coins actually gold? Of what purity? The weight seems pretty light for a solidus.

19. medoraman

The Silk Road history was mainly a story between the north and south routes. The south route being the predominant one until the destruction by the Kushans. After that it moved North into Sogdiana. The western branch of the northern route was always predominantly through Persia, due to the vast majority of the product being traded with the Roman empire, predominantly through Constantinople.

As to the origins of the four above to certain people, I don't see it. What I see is mainly attempts to imitate prototypes with barbaric nonsense legends, like my piece. I have been collecting Central Asia for about 15 years now, and I couldn't make the association you are based upon the style of these pieces. The only one I am guessing is the "hunnic" one, based upon I guess the bad reverse like Napki Malka or Alchon pieces. However some Kushan and Kidarites have the same types of reverses. As to Bactrian influences, remember these had to have been made at least 600 years after the last Bactrian king.

20. david clark

david clark Member

true re 51608 the bactrian dating observation, it does look like many greek style reverses was my point on that one... the central asian scythians had a few coins that look very classically greek as well, so there must have been a few cities wherein the greek arts maintained some influence..

and the one I called Hunnic 89358 yea theres a definate Kidarite aspect to that one, the 3/4 facing profile is an unusual style they both used ....

21. medoraman

Actually the 3/4 facing was the original Byzantine gold coin they were imitating. This was common on late roman gold and early byzantine.

I guess point is, all of them look to me similar in that they were imitations of contemporary Byzantine gold in every way, just crude engraving and nonsensical legends. If these are accepted by the hobby as Central Asian, mine does not look far from the style. couple that with Mr. Markov's attribution as being Central Asian, and I am comfortable with the designation. Had it not been ex-Markov, I would need more research to raise my comfort more.

If anyone has a similar coin attributed to somewhere else, I would love to see it.

Draft saved Draft deleted