Gold Quarter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coinsrcool, Nov 20, 2009.

1. coinsrcool

coinsrcool Member

My friend has a gold quarter and I want to buy it but I don't know if it is real. Any advise?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Gold quarter, like a Washington quarter that looks gold? If so, it's probably been gold plated, and isn't solid gold.

4. Joshycfl

Joshycfl Senior Member

My Advise: Don't drink and drive.

but honestly, we need more information to determine anything.

if you are saying its a quarter, like a Washington quarter, then its most likely gold plated and worth .25c

5. Joshycfl

Joshycfl Senior Member

lol raider, took the words right out of my mouth!

6. raider34

raider34 Active Member

:pencil: Lol, I'm usually the slower one.

7. Breezo

Breezo Coins are fun

You know, it may not be worth 25 cents, it may just be a sacajawea planchet called a mule, fetching possibly thousands of dollars.

8. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Last month the treasurer of one of my local coin club got three rolls of them in change from the bank.

10. SirCharlie

SirCharlie Chuck

Possibly a 1999 $5 Gold Washington Commemorative. Look one up on eBay and see. They are about $250

11. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Or, with equal logic it might be a long-necked turkey, called a giraffe.

A few of the many problems with the quoted statement:

• Sacagaweas are larger than quarters
    • In numismatics "mule" refers to a coin with obverse and reverse imprints that don't match, not wrong planchet impressions
    • In view of the known existence of gold plated quarters sold on Ebay, TV shopping networks, and other sources of hyped-up junk, Occam's Razor teaches that a gold-appearing quarter is most likely to be one of those
    • Wrong planchet coins are typically worth much less than a thousand dollars

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

This is what I was also thinking if it wasn't just a gold plated quarter. More information would help.

13. coinsrcool

coinsrcool Member

i'll try to get the quarter from him and post a picture of it. it might take a while.

14. Breezo

Breezo Coins are fun

Or, Hontonai could just make statements of ignorant doubt contrary to that indeed there are in fact mules that are 25 cent obverse strikes on sacajawea planchets that have been graded by pcgs. He says sacajaweas are larger than quarters, nullifing the possibility. How absurd! Try to migrate to other websites once and a while and do a frickin google search!

Several prominent mule errors have been discovered in recent times. One of the most famous is the Sacagawea Dollar/Washington State Quarter mule featuring the obverse of a Statehood quarter and the reverse of a Sacagawea dollar. This coin was struck on a Sacagawea dollar planchet. Common belief was that this coin was intentionally struck by a mint employee, however the mint confirmed in July 2000 that the coin was a legitimate error, created by the accidental replacement of a cracked Sacagawea obverse die with a Washington obverse die. Several thousand of the coins were reported to have been minted before the error was discovered, and mint employees recovered and destroyed most of them. One of the few that escaped detection was sold on eBay for $41,295.

15. Breezo

Breezo Coins are fun

Only 10 have been found so far, the highest price disclosed fetching 75,000 dollars, this guy Tommy Bolack has 8 of the ten at least, buying all no less than $47,500. http://www.fredweinberg.com/mules.php

16. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Since the OP said it was simply a golden quarter, I think it's highly unlike it's the error your speaking of, but I suppose anything is possible.

Btw it's important to site your sources, especially if it's going to be verbatim directly from the site.

Mule (coin) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

17. Breezo

Breezo Coins are fun

oh cite my sources. That old admonishment. Thanks boss!

18. Breezo

Breezo Coins are fun

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Wikipedia is an open edit website don't you know. Citing a website that is open to a 10 year old editor from kazakistan isn't exactly worth citing. I was giving a closed mind a prism in which to view objectively. Thank you for setting me straight Dad.

19. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Well you could do a specific gravity calculation to see if its gold. weigh the coin and get the volume Pi X r squared X height. Check specific gravity chart, at ;least you will know if its gold or not, and this test is non-destructive. unlike a Brinell hardness test. Good luck. Traci

20. SirCharlie

SirCharlie Chuck

They are gorgeous!
    One of my favorite coins!

Attached Files:

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

A ridiculous statement on the part of the mint if they did make it since the ten known pieces come from THREE different die pairs. (Since the Sac dollars were struck on quad presses there could be a fourth die pair as well.)

Since the OP said it was a gold QUARTER, I think it would be safe to assume that the coin had the design of a quarter and was the size of a quarter. The sac/quarter mule fits neither of these assumptions and would have been noticed as something other than a quarter. A Sac dollar planchet struck by quarter dies is impossible and can be discarded. (The mules exist because they were struck in a press set up for striking dollar coins not quarters.) The Washington $5 gold can be ignored because it once again is obviously not a quarter, and the size is too small. Clearly the most likely possibility is a gold plated quarter. (A quarter struck on a wrong (gold) planchet can also pretty well be ignored because the gold coins are struck at West Point and no quarters have been struck there since 1986. It is HIGHLY unlikely that a gold planchet would be able to find its way from West Point to Phildelphia or Denver and get into a quarter press.)

Draft saved Draft deleted