gold quarter rotated reverse

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by louis a bencze, Jan 25, 2020.

1. louis a bencze

louis a bencze Active Member

2 errors on this, an overdate (really hard to make out on such a small coin) and rotated reverse. 20200125_122447_resized[3917].jpg 20200125_122541[3918].jpg 20200125_123241[3919].jpg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Wow.. A real gold 1/4 Dollar.. Interesting

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

California gold was produced to keep commerce during the gold rush. These were produced by individual assayers to keep commerce flowing in and around the gold rush era. Most of these are quite crude and there was more a need for the coin than the small details in making them.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A very nice example of a fractional gold coin.

7. Tin_Man_0

Tin_Man_0 Active Member

It's nearly identical to Indian head pennies. Except it's got stars instead of USA going around the edge of the obverse and of course the denomination on the reverse. I wonder if they simply copied and modified the pennies' design. I would explain the sloppiness. A copy of a copy and probably not a great copy to begin with.

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

No need to guess about something that is new to you. There is a lot of published scholarship on most numismatic topics.

Try this for an overview of CA fractionals (scroll down through the listing of the specific varieties)
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/territorial/california-fractional-gold-1852-1882/1659

Draft saved Draft deleted