Gold Plating

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Nov 21, 2020.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

“Goldfinger”, the third film in the series, made in 1964, is a Bond classic along with “From Russia with Love” which was the second Bond movie. The first, “Dr. No” had a limited budget, but is quite good until the end when the low spending shows with some hoaky sets.

You knew that the budget was up in “Goldfinger” when they destroyed a brand new Lincoln Continental.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Penny Luster likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Word to the wise. Gold plated coins, which aren’t supported to be plated, are damaged. Don’t pay any premiums or even full price for them.

The most extreme example of this run are the gold plated Fort Vancouver commemorative half dollars. From what I have read, the issuer sold 100 of them, but today those coins are viewed as “damaged.” The reason is that nothing could stop one from making more of them if the market demanded them, which it doesn’t.

goossen and Penny Luster like this.
  4. goossen

goossen Senior Member

I hate plated coins. Which are not supposed to be plated of course.
    They are just damaged to me.

5. goossen

goossen Senior Member

I liked Goldmember better :D
    15C14F93-4712-4416-9561-B2E5584885F7.jpeg

Penny Luster and SensibleSal66 like this.
  6. Captain Sully

Captain Sully Active Member

I was just looking through the items and spotted that Vinage ad you posted and I have that card. I think it is on a series of Ike dollars that came with some other article that is somewhere in the box. They are pretty. Reading between the tea leaves, how might they be 18 years from now when she, as I hope you know, I am saving basic silver for her. Comments please! Sul

7. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Here are two gold plated dollars I have acquired over the years. Color does not show well on iPad photos. Ike in the middle is for color comparison and is not plated.
    14F7C96F-2AD6-45BE-ABBD-D3E166D2B977.jpeg 838468EC-08C0-42E1-AC18-9477832550CE.jpeg

The Ike might be copper plated, very heavy plating as all the details are mushy.

8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

The plate is fine but the original is my favorite. Thanks for posting it.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  9. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

We like shiny things! :D

Did you hear about the guy who was so proud of his Peace dollar, he had it "bronzed"! :jawdrop::smuggrin::smuggrin::joyful:

Penny Luster and Collecting Nut like this.
  10. Jersey magic man

that is a take off of the joke about the Olympic first place winner who had his gold medal bronzed.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Yes, I think I posed that one about a month or 2 ago...thanks for remembering :D...I never know if these "jokes" have "staying power"...:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::joyful:

Penny Luster likes this.
  12. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Well I think if someone is really well versed in electroplating, reverse electrolysis would remove the gold plating with minimal damage to the silver. The electrolysis solution would have to be gold bearing to begin with so it doesn't try to take up the silver also.

A lot of times though, they sand them and polish them and dip them in acid before plating so that the gold sticks well. so even if you did get it off with reverse electrolysis it's likely it's still been messed with when they plated it and manipulated surfaces. Might be a nice deplating/reclaimation experiment for someone though.

I've saved plated quarters dimes nickels and cents I've found over the years hoping one day to do all this stuff and reclaim the gold and platinum and silver. LOL, likely not worth the effort though unless it becomes pounds and pounds of it found and I was sure I could spend the coins still after deplating them because the metal isn't likely worth much more than the face value of the coin, it's so thin.

Penny Luster and PlanoSteve like this.
  13. Jersey magic man

I don't think de-plating the coin will be worth the effort. When you are all said and done the best you are likely to get on a grade is a details coin. I use my plated dollars as lucky pieces when I play Poker (doesn't work though).

Penny Luster likes this.
  14. John Burgess

Maybe try blackjack? :)

15. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Actually..

In the movie yes but in reality no..

Google..
    Quote "Another common fear about body paint is whether a head-to-toe coat can cause a person to suffocate. This likely comes from the James Bond movie "Goldfinger." In the 1964 film, the villain Goldfinger kills character Jill Masterson (played by Shirley Eaton) by covering her in gold paint, causing her death by suffocation. An urban legend spread that Eaton actually died on set from asphyxiation from the same gold paint. However, this is physically impossible, and as of March 2015, Eaton is alive and well. We don't breathe through our skin -- we breathe through our noses and mouths. Therefore, covering your entire body in paint won't cause you to suffocate, no matter what Goldfinger does." Closed quote

Penny Luster likes this.
  16. John Burgess

I am afraid I have to agree and disagree with you here brother. No you will not suffocate of you covered all of your skin with paint or something so air can't get at it. As long as you can breathe you will not suffocate.

HOWEVER, there are a host of side affects. you outer layers of skin does get it's oxygen from the air/atmosphere surrounding it same like your eyes, not the blood. Your skin cells can die off given enough time blocked from oxygen and putrefy. covering your skin can also send your body into shock or raise your body temp to unsafe levels. you can die from shock or heatstroke let's say.

the movie is a myth 100%, we breathe through our lungs not our skin, so suffocation isn't possible unless mouth and nose were covered also.

BUT there is a grain of truth there, the outer layer of skin does need oxygen and our circulatory system (blood) doesn't provide oxygen to the outer layer of skin cells. if you covered them for a long enough time, like a couple weeks, you'd probably die from shock or heatstroke, but if not, your skin would be dead and in would be dying deeper and deeper, much like how bedsores work, it would be unpleasant to say the least if it didn't lead to something worse than unpleasant.

Penny Luster and paddyman98 like this.
  17. Penny Luster

Penny Luster Well-Known Member

Does this mean that Oddjob's boomerang hat won't chop off your head?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  18. John Burgess

No man, that hat is the real deal! Ninja skills.

Draft saved Draft deleted