Gold One Dollar input requested

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Mark Metzger, May 18, 2024.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Hey folks. This forum was so helpful on the gold $2.50 Indians last week that I thought I’d see what everyone thought of these one dollar gold pieces. I know these are also oft counterfeit so I’m prepared for news both good or bad. Four coins total. I did my best on the photos.
    Thanks in advance!
    IMG_8392.jpeg IMG_8393.jpeg IMG_8395.jpeg IMG_8396.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Nice BLING! Did you get a chance to weigh them? Are you looking for values or grades perhaps? Thanks.... biggrin.gif whistle.gif

4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I don't see any dead giveaways in your photos, however they are also not focused well enough for me to tell conclusively. Knowing the status of the other coins presented to you, ostensibly from the same "collection", I think these coins should be examined by a qualified professional before you commit to them. Do you have anyone in your area you might impose upon for that?

Heavymetal and -jeffB like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice and if you look at the 1855 I think you find (see) that the side with the date has a die clash. It’s the facial outline of LIBERTY.

ZoidMeister and Cheech9712 like this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The 1855 is fake, for sure. The others look good at first glance.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

What made you come to that conclusion?
    I dont see anything wrong with the design. I personally think that the die clash validates it as genuine. :)

8. physics-fan3.14

There are at least 12 different areas on this coin that signal red flags.

And the more I look at it, it the more I see.

The fact that there is a "die clash" with all of these red flags only makes it more suspicious.

That "coin" is 100% fake.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    Cheech9712 likes this.
  9. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

I feel the exact same way you do considering these came from the same collection as the aforementioned counterfeits. I purchased the entire collection with the exception of the earlier counterfeits…the seller wanted to hold those back. I paid “cautious” prices for these $1 pieces. Outside of th
    Would they fake a die clash? I saw a similar clash on an authenticated example.

10. physics-fan3.14

Yes. It depends on how exactly the fake was made. Die clashes are incredibly common on gold dollars. If they used a genuine dollar with a clash as the model for the fake, it is going to have the clash as well.

11. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

I have seen a counterfeit Silver Dollar with a die clash before. I can't remember if it was a Seated Liberty, Trade or Morgan.

Here's a different example: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/995894/1927-d-peace-dollar-with-massive-die-clash

I'm not saying it is or isn't a counterfeit, as I have had little to no experience with Gold Dollars.

12. physics-fan3.14

After looking at them more, I have doubts about the 1854 as well.

13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Clash marks are not unusual on Type II gold dollars, the 1854 and 1855 coins. The trouble is the coins have other problems.

Here are some genuine 1854 and 1855 Type II gold dollars you can use for comparison purposes.

This 1854 is a PCGS MS-64.

1854 Ty 2 Gold Dol All.jpg

This 1855 is a PCGS MS-63. I think that it is "high end" for the grade. You will note that it has heavy clash marks on both sides.

I think that all of your Type II gold dollars have doubtful authenticity. I hate to say things on-line, unless the coin is a "shreeming counterfeit." The 1854's have a partial wire rim (A narrow line around the rim at 10 to 12 k.) I don't recall seeing that before on these coins.

1855 Gold Dol All.jpg

I also don't care for the 1853 gold dollars. Back in the day, that was the most frequently counterfeited gold dollar date. It was a date that always raised so doubt. It's also the most common gold dollar date.

The rims look to be too high. Once again, I don't recall seeing that. Here is a genuine piece that is a "high end" PCGS MS-64.

1853 Gold Dol All.jpg

I am on the fence about the 1887s. Here is PCGS graded MS-65. You can compare your coins to this one.

1887 Gold Dollar All.jpg

14. physics-fan3.14

I've never seen a fake with convincing Longacre Doubling like your 1887 has. Unfortunately, it might be "guilty by association" with the others.

Draft saved Draft deleted