Gold Noble/Ryal: original English issue or Flemish Imitative coinage?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Eduard, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Guys,
    Meet my most exciting metal detecting find ever: found years ago in a forest, at the side of a footpath where people still go for sunday strolls. I was geting ready to pack up and go home after having found 2 dozen or so pull tabs and shells. This signal was very loud, much like a pull tab and i almost decided not to pick it. But somehow it was different i guess, because i did stop
    to dig it up. Boy am i glad that i did! My hear skipped a beat when i slowly realized realized what it was. I am glad i did not damage it since i weas pretty careless digging it up. I have been very fortunate, but nothing like this before. As usual i searched the entire area, but this was a single find.
    So what is it? Gold Noble or Ryal in tabout he name of the English king Edward IV. However, very simlar coins, imitating the original english issues were also struck in the low countries (Gorinchem and Utrecht as fas as i know). It weighs 7.42 grams. Can anybody please help identifying the issue, as well as date of mintage, and the coins grade. It does appear a bit weak
    in places, particularly the reverse. But all in all an amazing condition for a coin like this.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Splendid, splendid find! And people around here usually get excited to find a Mercury dime! Lol.

I haven't any of my references with me at the moment, I'll check it later in the week if no one else chimes in.

4. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

My Gosh, what a specimen. How I wish I'd thought to buy a metal-detector instead of a camera when I was stationed in GE during the early 80s. On all of the 'VolksMarches' we participated in surely I'd have found something valuable...

Very Nice, thanks for sharing. :)
    Ben

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Boy Howdy Eduard !! Now that is a find indeed, truly one my all time favorite coins. It is, as you mentioned, a Rose Noble struck in pure gold in 1583-91 at the Gorinchem mint. As for grade, I would say it is a nice F.

If you wish to read more about the coin just do a search here in the World and Ancients forum for - Rose Noble.

6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you for pointing me to that Thread. I did not think to look in the obvious place first. Well, that was a very nice Gold Noble
    which you posted there!
    So the diagnostic for Gorinchen is the Crown (instead of the cross) on the reverse. This one has a crown (rather faint, but definitely not a cross). This is therefore a Gorinchem issue.
    I guess it makes sense this is not of English origin, but rather from the low countries: would have been very unusal to find an English coin here, a flemish one makes more sense. Amazing how well the Flemish were able to copy/imitate English issues.
    I will try to do a search to determine which are more common: Edward IV Nobles, or the Gorinchem imitative issues.
    regards,
    Eduard

7. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

This coin is probably imitative (but contempory). The grade is around VF to GVF, hard to tell without holding it in hand.....If GDJSMP thinks it is F, I would like him to show me an EF example of the same coin !

8. GDJMSP

No problem, just so happens I used to collect them ;) You haven't been around long enough to know this Jerome, but hammered world gold was my specialty. Here's a pic of what I consider an XF, same coin, date and mint. Oh, and the British firm I bought it from, CNG - they considered it an XF too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. GDJMSP

That is only a partial diagnostic, but perhaps the easiest to recognize at a glance. The legends are also quite different. If you refer to this page - HERE, post #17 - you will find the various legends for the British coinage. While the legends for the Gorinchem coin were -
    obverse - ED - WARD - DI - GRA - REX - ANGL - Z - FRAN - DNS - IB

reverse - IHD - AVT - TRANSIENS - PER - MEDIVM - ILLORV - IBAT

And there is one other variant from the Gorinchem mint with a slightly different obverse legend as well.

Now as to rarity, don't bother looking. The Gorinchem coins are listed, using Delmonte's rarity scale and he is the definitive resource for these coins, as being an R4, which is described as of the highest rarity with only 2 or 3 specimens known.

And that is why I was rather excited when you posted a picture of one. That coin my friend is probably the rarest coin you will ever own. And you found it - still blows me away.

10. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

Congratulations ...a very fine coin indeed.

It is amazing you found that with a metal detector...... that has got to be the best "find" I have ever seen posted by a individual at the various forums I follow.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

11. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

What a find :bow: :bow: and Doug thanks for the lesson :D

12. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

dang, after reading Doug's post... all i can do is sit back, scratch my head, and wonder just what sits below the ground i walk on everyday!!!!!

13. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you very much GDJMSP and everybody, you have given me much more of an answer than i was hoping for. It gives me all of the background i need concerning this coin. For sure i did not realize this coin is so scarce. This is a very pleasant surprise.

Concerning similar finds, i read recently in a UK-detectorist forum that somebody had found 8 Gold Nobles and ca. 40 pennies and groats of Edward III and Edward IV buried in a field.....
    Regards,
    Eduard

14. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I know of someone who found a purse of mint state Elizabethan sixpence. twenty or so of them.

15. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

WOW! That is about all I can say! Thanks for sharing with us Eduard!

Frank

Draft saved Draft deleted