Gold Mercury Dime 2016, Disappointment Courtesy of US Mint?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Apr 26, 2016.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Your zero key got stuck

-jeffB, Blissskr and SuperDave like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

ROTFL and +1

rooman9 likes this.
  4. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Up to 961 gold merc auctions sold on ebay as of today. Again at an average of 5 per auction that's around 4% of the total mintage. This is 3 days after the quoted post.

5. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I would love to see how sales would go if it was illegal to resell. I know it's impossible and impractical but as a thought experiment it's interesting.

6. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

*crickets*

:D

7. Eddy

Eddy New Member

IMHO, I think the mint would do a lot better on sales if it didn't say how many of a product was being minted and have a start date and time and run it for 30 days and when the orders come in start striking coins and when the 30 days is up all the orders that came in thats it. print the mintage figures then, What do you think?

8. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Exactly what I did and I got 3

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

okay 9 months

10. Key70

Key70 New Member

Up next .

ChO2niuXEAQA7Vi.jpg

Travlntiques likes this.
  11. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

The quarter is actually more attractive in my opinion! Thanks for posting @Key70 that was the first time I had seen an image of "the real deal".
    Everyone get those computers tuned up and the Mint's phone number placed on speed dial, this is going to be a bumpy ride :)

jwitten likes this.
  12. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see mintage numbers/limits. It is a lot pricier, so I probably can't buy as many.

13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

14. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

I think you're assuming that if it's illegal, no one would do it. Like ticket-scalping.

15. Nycmacman

Nycmacman Active Member

I really wish they did this series true to the original. I personally do not like the gold look of it. Maybe I'll purchase the walker not sure yet, but would much rather it be silver with a low mintage. Personally I have not bough any coin from the mint since they first released the reverse proof in 2006. Was younger at the time, and missed out on the double eagle ultra high relief as I couldn't afford it.I really love that coin, but right now I'm holding off.

The recent 2016 platinum coin I was watching but I decided against it because I thought it was ugly, low and behold could have just sold it for a premium. Oh well.

Travlntiques likes this.
  16. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Well, these bullion dimes have been out for a while now...I noticed the graded 70,s are $299 now and mint issue coins are $255. By now most of these raw pieces have been cherrypicked, so the 70,s seem like a good deal. I think that prices still have room to drop, since the 125,000 mintage is so high for that type of bullion...I also think that the greedy flippers will need more capital so they can flip the next run of bullion quarters, and so on...The culls(68,s and under) will end up on shopping channels and be promoted as OGP, but they,re still cherrypicked and will no doubt be grabbed up by novice consumers. When the hype finally blows over, prices should end up at a bit over spot, much like most other bullion coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted