Gold Mercury Dime 2016, Disappointment Courtesy of US Mint?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Apr 26, 2016.

1. thedredge

thedredge Active Member

I would treat it just the same as concert tickets, mere seconds after the time you can order you best be on the phone or online. :>)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Thanks TC. Very interesting. Not impressed with the excuse for no split bands. They were capable of doing it in 1916 but not 2016 because of technology advances? Cmon. We're not asking someone draw a detailed picture. These are a couple of small lines.
    Not possible to do by hand anymore. [emoji53]

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Cascade likes this.
  4. Fullbands

Fullbands Certified Authentic Details

I am flummoxed.

Cascade likes this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That's... actually remarkably pathetic. "Our new process lets us achieve very high levels of detail; if our process can't achieve it, it obviously isn't worth bothering with. But if it really bugs you, we'll be happy to crank up the laser and cover the design with pockmark 'frosting' to take the place of actual details."

saltysam-1 and Cascade like this.
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's really true for all countries, the major collecting base will lie within it's own boarders with some spill over. There is a market for older US coins elsewhere just not so much at the highest levels. Better more expensive examples are always going to be very cost prohibitive internationally with shipping and then depending on how the currency conversion works and what taxes may be applied to it ect, the local buyer will generally have an edge and likely will be the more serious collector of the series instead of someone who just happens to like the piece.

I do agree though the modern US mint has gotten rather boring overall, occasionally they do something nice but overall they have to be near the bottom for creativity.

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I only want the SLQ to go these two SLQ 2016 Token.jpg Standing Liberty 2016 Antiqued.jpg

green18 and TopcatCoin like this.
  8. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

I spoke to Janice at the mint she said that they sold out 122 183 thousand in a matter of 45 mins ,

9. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

10. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

11. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

This

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yeah like in the 1830's. Oh yeah is some cases some touch up would be done on the five or 12 inch galvanos used to make the reduction to the master hub. (that lasted probably till around the turn of the 21st century, possible even later.) But they could have done that same kind of touchup to the computer scans before they cut the master hubs from them. They do "tweaking" on the computer images all the time before the cut the hubs. They just didn't bother. Just a case of "Split bands? What was that important or something?"

Cascade likes this.
  13. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

Depends what country you have in mind. Of the countries with an established tradition of collecting, the local collector either does or usually is the largest buyer generally, though not in all instances. For all others, it is usually collectors from the US or sometimes elsewhere. One example is Bolivia Republic decimals. There aren't hardly any collectors for this series but of the few such as myself, evidence is that practically all of the better coins are owned by foreigners.

For the US, I have seen essentially zero evidence that there is any substantial collecting elsewhere at more than relatively nominal prices, except possibly by American expatriates. I have heard of exceptions such as Japanese buyers of US proof classic gold but nothing more. The obvious reason for this conclusion is the exorbitant US price level. Totally ordinary US coins routinely sell for tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Even actual prominent world coin rarities routinely sell for less or a fraction.

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It is certainly far more popular than the average product they release I don't think anyone will deny that, but at the same time there was certainly a substantial amount purchased for resale. The question seems to be more whether or not there would have been demand great enough for that type of sell out if the flippers and big boys sat the issue out or if it needed to be marketed on the secondary market to create that initial hype that usually dies down when the next hot item comes along.

15. Joseph Ketron

Joseph Ketron New Member

I ordered 1 Gold Mercury dime centennial coin. I received it today and it has a MAD clash. I guess I got luck getting an error coin version.

16. Joseph Ketron

Joseph Ketron New Member

I ordered 1 Gold Mercury dime centennial coin. I received it today and it has a MAD clash. I guess I got lucky getting an error coin version.

17. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Pics or it never happened...

Blissskr likes this.
  18. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Kind of funny how all these people claim all sorts of errors and then disappear when asked for photographic proof...

19. Joseph Ketron

Joseph Ketron New Member

You can come and see it on ebay here in a few.

20. Joseph Ketron

Joseph Ketron New Member

lets say you can buy it for $10000.

Draft saved Draft deleted