Gold Mercury Dime 2016, Disappointment Courtesy of US Mint?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Apr 26, 2016.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I was just wondering what the US Mint could do to keep the company's with deep pockets from buying up all the coins before us little guys get ours. Maybe they could just give the release date but not the time, just like it will go on sale between 8 and 5 on 4/21. What do you think, do you have a better idea? Isn't anyone tired of calling at 12 o'clock or trying to order online and not being able to? Oh and I already know there's another thread about the Mercury Dimes but they're not about trying to solve the problem, not that we could but you never know until you try. Anyone?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Flippers and deep pocket companies are here to make sure you honest collectors are *&$^%$. Proper *&$^%$.

Enjoy.

4. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Hold up. You think the little guy would have the advantage over the big guys if the time of release was not known? You have a hard enough time getting on at a known time to buy... you really think you will be able to just magically get lucky and get on at the right time? Everyone has a fair shot the way it is done. What could be more fair then telling you exactly when you need to be ready to go?

19Lyds likes this.
  5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Well good for you, how many were you able to get. Lucky you!

6. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

My experience has been that if I really want what they are offering and I know exactly what time it will be available.............I make the time to be there, to be logged in and ready to go.

It has NEVER failed me and I'm on the West Coast.

Basically, you must EMBRACE the old saying "If you snooze, you Lose."

Insider, kaosleeroy108, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  7. 19Lyds

I believe he got a bunch.............

8. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

After the 2011 ase set fiasco the mint tried to care with unlimited mintage sets offered for 30 days. Collectors were happy, but the big guys were not. The mint is like all government agencies, they are completely controlled by big business for the benefit of big business.

Soda Ant likes this.
  9. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

I agree with you there. Everyone has a fair shot in getting them. I am not sure why others are complain about this.

10. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

I order mine at 2 min after 9:00 AM and it didn't take more than 10 min to order them. Very surprise to me the first time I was able to order without too much trouble. I order (5) and I just got the notice that the US Mint shipped them. So I should be able to get them very soon. The Mint have been able to be fair as much as they can be. I just wish that others stop complaining about this because then the limit will become more production. If they want it that bad, then they all have to pay the dues to get them.

11. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

Sadly, the scalping of popular products it a way of life. This happens all over the place. From concert and sporting tickets, to iPhones, to cars. There isn't really much you can do short of making production extremely high or unlimited. They could make the household limit one, but then the deep pockets would just amass and army of proxy buyers to clog the system on launch day making it difficult for everyone.

Buyers just need to be prepared. You know the date and time. If you are at work, take a well timed bathroom/smoke/whatever break and order with the US Mint app or your mobile browser. Have a family member or a friend try for you.

joecoincollect likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

This is why we have an after market.

13. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

DMac and Mike Jones like this.
  14. 19Lyds

There is something that can be done to alleviate the pain of failure.

Understand, the the US Mint "CANNOT" control not "ANTICIPATE" who is going to buy what aside from billing/shipping address duplication.

They done their part with the Household Limits and the anticipated mintages. Now its up to the buyers to do their part and stop trying to come up with a "better idea" on how they should run their business.

YoYoSpin likes this.
  15. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Like I have said on other posts on the subject, make it a lottery. Make people certify they are not being paid to order the sets, (cull out employees of large firms), and let anyone order in an 8 hour window. After that, if more are ordered than available, draw numbers to allocate and notify those who orders are accepted.

Most democratic way I can think of, so of course has no chance of being implemented.

16. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Nothing the mint can do will stop this from continuing on anything that seems like it will be popular with a limited mintage. Look at how many people on our own forum get family, etc to create an account to buy for them for example. Then think even if the mint imposed a 1 or 2 coin limit for the first week or so, that would do almost nothing to deter the big guys from offering to pay people to buy the coins for them.

The mint should just go back to how they did it with the 2008 fractional Buffalo's and make it unlimited mintage for the sales period. Then people who actually want one of the coin can get one easily from the mint and flippers are left out unless they want to take a long term speculative risk which deters many of them. This system also resulted in at least for those fractional Buff's a much lower mintage than this Mercury dime issue. And that was for all sizes of the Buff's combined coming in at less than 125k which in the end lets true collectors get a greater value out of the coin in the long run.

17. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

Hello, how many coins are these dealers allotted anyway. 10,000? maybe, and we are allowed 10! Well I only ordered 2 of them and got the confirmation of shipping today. I am sorry I didn't order more. Bill

18. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

0 here
    i'll wait now for the Standing Liberty and Walking Liberty

19. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

Yes we will be ready for those. They will surely be a sellout. Lets just hope that they don't increase the mintage on them.

20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Didn't get one, didn't try and could care less. If they kept the original design and metal I would have wanted one. But gold? They can melt them all IMHO.

*wolf7*, atcarroll, harrync and 3 others like this.
  21. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

There not allotted any they have to buy them 10 at a time or have them bought for them by those willing these are not issued like the bullion coins are.

Draft saved Draft deleted