Gold Kennedys already below issue price

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by -jeffB, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Onofrio Bacigalupo

It will take time not a few days. Edit: Language ~Read the rules !!! and obey them. You really don't know what you're buying even when it's slabbed like a copse in a morgue. A numismatist should be happy with what he buys knowing that the future will bring in profits either to himself should he live or to his progeny.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
  4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Will they? You have to be almost 60 years old to have any first hand memories of the man. The next generation younger knows him only by the reputation passed on by their parents. The next generation has even less connection with him. The generation now being born will mostly see him just as some guy in the history books.

Ed Sims and JPeace$ like this.
  5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

65,000 is a very large mintage if only 50,000 want them. I agree with Vic, the mintage was padded by dealer and flippers hoping to make a quick and easy profit. Many of them were successful, but many will end up selling them for about melt.

I agree that it is a one of a kind mint product, but see the collector market for the silver set as being stronger in the coming years. There just aren't that many serious Kennedy collectors who just can't live without what amounts to be a 3/4 ounce commemorative.

Ed Sims and Vegas Vic like this.
  6. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

I wanted one...I got it.......so be it

SilverSurfer415 and dwhiz like this.
  7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I hope that I didn't offend you with my comment Ethan, I like them and bought one myself. I think it is really a pretty cool coin for collectors, just not a great coin for investment beyond the PM content in my opinion.

JPeace$ likes this.
  8. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Not at all...the comment was in general......some hate it, but it is what I collect.

Kirkuleez likes this.
  9. Onofrio Bacigalupo

10. Onofrio Bacigalupo

I was 17 years old and in my freshman college Psyche class when I got the bad news. You are very cynical about JFK, his legacy, and the commemorative coins that the Mint has been kind enough to issue. I'm sure that he will be revered as much as Washington and Lincoln by future educated generations.

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I was only 1 month old when Kennedy was assasinated. I do not collect the Kennedy series as I don't care for the coin. I'm also not a historian, but I don't think you can put Kennedy's legacy in the same league with Lincoln or Washington.

12. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes I'm cynical I admit it. I'm younger than you and my only memory of the man is a dim recollection of his funeral (which is surprising as I was only two at the time. It made the impression on me because it preempted all the TV stations.)

Kennedy was not really a great memorable President. His great popularity came to a large extent from his youth. The major milestones of his Presidency were the Bay of Pigs, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the commitment for the race to the moon, and being assassinated. That last one was what put him up on a pedestal. And without that I seriously doubt the moon landing would have come to pass either. If he hadn't been shot he would almost certainly have been reelected and probably would have ended his term as a popular but lackluster President.

Ed Sims and Kirkuleez like this.
  14. Onofrio Bacigalupo

You're correct. You are not a historian!

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That will be enough. Several posts have been removed. Any more comments like them will have consequences.

mainer020648 likes this.
  16. Onofrio Bacigalupo

I really love coin collecting and my coin collection. It gives me a lot of satisfaction that people have purchased coins from me and that I still have over 1,000 to pass on to my children and grandchildren. I have two questions: Does anybody know where Manfra, Tordella, and Brookes wound up after 9/11? Is anybody familiar with the coin shop that used to be on Nassau Street in the financial district of NYC?

17. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

This reminded me of the hitler parody on the gold kennedy coins that lostdutchman posted a little while ago

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    SilverSurfer415 likes this.
  18. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Poor guy. I ordered my five on line and got them within two days.

19. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Haven't seen that. Hilarious! This is why I only collect coins that are (or were) real money minted for circulation. Too much drama sometimes associated with the manufactured collectibles. No offense to those who like them, to each his own, but they're just not for me.

Ed Sims likes this.
  20. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

Personally I love the manufactured collectibles as long as they at least 60 years old.

Ed Sims likes this.
  21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You started it.......

Draft saved Draft deleted