"Gold Kennedy Fiasco"

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BaconSlayer, May 18, 2015.

1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

What everyone forgets was that there was total stupidity the second (or third ?) day when the regular clad $1/2's were offered for sale.

Not as bad as for the gold still ridiculously long lines to buy and get the 1st day slabs. The stupidity continued

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Silverclown. Still too much. I can get an ounce Maple Leaf or Krugerrand at that price.

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

It was a great show. The experience was bizarre, though, to be sure. But it was my first time meeting @Treashunt and @Travlntiques, which was super cool.

Travlntiques likes this.
  5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

There's no BS in what you quoted, other than the price.

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Well, of course, it's just "sophisticated puffing," it isn't "actionable," is the latter what you thought I meant? Make an effort to perceive the relationship between that and the price, there's what I meant.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  7. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I'm not going to defend Silvertowne, but these are not the regular issue half dollars that can be found in bank rolls. Heck, even the regular issue was not issued for circulation, so very slim chance of finding them in circulation.

As for the Kennedy gold, most serious collectors knew from the beginning that the mintage was too high for a gold coin

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Travlntiques likes this.
  8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Yes, and I felt sorry for you.

:bag:

9. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

You get these in "High Gem" in boxes from the Bank?

Specifically the High Relief larger bust 2014 P & D Coins?

Or are you thinking the regular issue 2014 P & D coins which came in US Mint Rolls and Bags?[/QUOTE]

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

@19Lyds: I didn't know about those other 2014 Ps and Ds. I stand corrected. I thought they were all just NIFCs. I'll bet you a shiny new dime most collectors could give a rat's butt, though.

@statequarterguy: Oh, we find NIFCs. In fact, so many, we started throwing them back. Hell, the coin tubes to hold them in cost too much!

Here, click this: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/found-this-searching-halfs-today.263608/#post-2153538. Note the condition. You search enough halves, you'll find these oddballs well-before you find the circulated Barbers (which is the next level, really).

11. statequarterguy

Well, maybe you've be "lucky". I say "lucky" in quotes because I have heard that some dump rejects from collector rolls into circulation. If a collector buys these rolls at a premium, I doubt they're knowing dumping gems.

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

These are the gifted ones. They have to be. You're right.

13. 19Lyds

I like them which is all that really matters.

I DON'T like the fact that the US Mint has now adopted this design as the standard for proofs and collectors coins though as it kinda diminishes the importance of the 2 coin set which, IMO, are some fairly sharp looking coins.

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Well, I never saw these high relief ones, so I really can't say. Just to clarify the record, those were just done in the 2014 "Anniversary" Ps & Ds, right?

15. statequarterguy

Many collectors will probably care a lot. With the unique portrait and 200k mintage, these may be more limited than the 1964 AH Proof, as will be the 2014 silver set.

Travlntiques likes this.
  16. 19Lyds

This set:

2014 Kennedy Uncirculated Set-01.jpg

2014 Kennedy Uncirculated Set-02.jpg

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, I thought so. After all, it was the 50th, so he's the "iconic" JFK, and it's the "heraldic" eagle. Those big words in and of themselves are worth a premium.

18. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

What's up with the pricing on these in recent months ? I heard dealers were able to send back product to the Mint ? Just because they bought too high ?

19. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

All I know is they are still selling the 4 piece Kennedy half set. (US Mint) I can imagine most of those are returns....

20. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

The Mint still has them 18 months later ? Wow.....

What does it cost from the Mint and what were they selling for on the secondary market back in 2014 ?

21. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

I checked yesterday and they were still at 99.95 and they're going for around the same price on ebay, maybe a small mark-up.

Draft saved Draft deleted