Gold Filled Medalet 10mm George B. Soley?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Apr 25, 2018.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Hi CT,
    Anyone ever come across one of these 10mm gold filled medals? I bought it off the bay as I thought it has to be from the late 1890's. After I looked up some patents, George B. Soley comes to mind but his design on the pdf is slightly different. Although he does show a cross inside a crown and it does have the Our Father Prayer on the reverse. That said, his cross is leaned on the right hand side of the coin, any thoughts? In case you never heard of George there's a blurb about him in the below link, below the two pics of the steam press. ~Cheers!!
    https://www.fi.edu/history-resources/coin-press

snot24k-l1600.gif snot24kb-l1600.gif

Attached Files:

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I've seen and had some, but usually with a Washington head or some other design opposite the Lord's Prayer. The cross-and-crown design I haven't seen before.

I would imagine this was struck in the very first years of the 20th century, like many of the ones that were struck for the 1901 and 1904 expositions. Neat piece.

4. fretboard

Appreciate the response LordM! My bad, forgot to post a pic of what the man minted back in 1875 and beyond so here's a pic. The man lived in Philly and was an employee of the US Mint. See link below for more information as the Secret Service once put a stop to his selling of the medals. Also, I included a pdf with 3 of his patents in 1894. He minted a slew of 13mm medals, like the pic plus other's with current Presidents at the time and Presidents who had died previously. The man lived down the street from US Mint at the time at on Chestnut Street in Philadelphia. He also made a 13mm medal of the design I'm talking about, but it wasn't gold filled. I'm thinking, he may have gone down to 10mm because this one is gold filled. Anyone have any thoughts or comments?
    saaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v11n44a11.html

Attached Files:

5. lordmarcovan

I've found a couple of that type with the "US Mint" design in bulk lots.

6. fretboard

Yeah, I returned that little 10mm gold medal. It was likely gold filled but I didn't want to take a chance I think it's a Soley but I can't prove it, that's why I returned it. Here's a George B. Soley, one I have that has his name on it, it's right under the water. It's not in good condition but it's good enough for me. :D These Brooklyn Bridge medals go for big money, well big for me, $50-200. ;) There's an article in Coinweek that was posted last month with some information on George B. Soley.

https://coinweek.com/coins/medals-and-tokens/called-dollars-debut-whitman-mega-red-book/

There's also some information in the Hibler & Kappen So Called Dollar reference link b/c George B. Soley minted some So Called Dollars. You will see a reference on HK-47 and supposedly he made HK-47 through HK-72. There is actually a reference for So Called Dollars and some of them are extremely expensive! If any of y'all never knew about So Called Dollars, please check it out! :woot: If you can't see G.B. Soley in my pic, there's a better pic in the ebay link below! ~Cheers!

https://www.so-calleddollars.com/Events/US_Centennial.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1789-1889-...325491?hash=item4b290dec33:g:3XkAAOSwfglZ1~wQ

s24.99a-l1600.jpg s24.99b-l1600.jpg

7. lordmarcovan

SCD (So-Called Dollars) are one field of US numismatics (exonumia) that I have not dipped my toe into yet.

That Brooklyn Bridge medal is lovely.

8. fretboard

Yes, SCD (So-Called Dollars) get pricey quick! Yeah, I like my Brooklyn Bridge medal but I will get a better one soon. Mine has a black smear on the obverse that I tried to remove but I was unable. You would think that acetone would get rid of it but it didn't. scooter.gif

9. fretboard

Yes, if you run across anymore, please let me know. Here's some more George B. Soley medals. Some are cheap, less than $10 but some costs over $60. Most of his medalets are rare and his larger medals above 14mm are even more rare and therefore more pricey. Oh, and that 10mm medal I posted in the beginning. I honestly think that's a George B. Soley medal from the early 1890's but I had to return it as it was way too pricey for me at 40 buckaroos. :D s-8-56a.jpg s-8-56b.jpg s11.65a-l1600.jpg s11.65b-l1600.jpg s-17-65b.jpg s-17-65c.jpg s14.70a-l1600.jpg s14.70b-l1600.jpg s52.a.jpg s52.dollars b.jpg

10. fretboard

I forgot all about this thread, I collect George B. Soley Tokens and Medals and I just put together an album if anyone is interested. To get to my albums click on my Shotgun avatar above and you'll see where to go! :D Also, as I was doing research, I found out that George Hampden Lovett engraved the obverse of this 1889 Medal. I found out this information at the below Yale University link, apparently Universities take donations of numismatic items which is really cool and something I just learned a few years ago! ;) This Medal was issued in 1889 and the size is 25.5mm which was a standard size at the time and approximately 1 inch across. Here's a pic of one of mine, another thing I learned in my research is there were a ton of die sinkers in the US and many of them lived right around the US Mint building in Philadelphia. Many were US Mint employees like Soley, but some weren't. Someone could write a book about all the die sinkers in Philly in the late 1800's, if someone already has, hit me up with the info! :D

https://artgallery.yale.edu/collections/objects/107776

1156 a.jpg 1156 b.jpg

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted