Gold Escudos

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by StephenS, Oct 20, 2008.

1. StephenS

StephenS Member

Hi All,

I find the Spanish escudo gold coins quite interesting, and I own a couple of them. However, something that I've happened to notice recently has caught my attention and I wanted to get other opinions on it.

It seems to me like there's 3 or 4 sellers who are able to consistently provide gold escudos for sale on ebay. How are these people able to provide so many? It seems a little fishy to me.

Here are four examples of ebay sellers who seem to keep a steady supply of escudos on the market:

treasures_of_maryland
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PIRATE-GOLD-179...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

numismaticcoinandtreasures
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350107979213

littlejoe8668
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Spanish-Doubloo...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

dig_it!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CHOICE-1801-SPA...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I would think that the 1/2 escudo gold coin would be pretty easy to counterfeit due to the simple design details, small size, and unknown weight.

Any thoughts on whether these coins are genuine or are these sellers cranking them out in their garages?

-StephenS

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

I can't comment on the escudos specifically, but I watch sales of other Spanish colonial coins from all four of those sellers and two of them sell blatant fakes.

4. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I can't view the Auctions from work so I can't give an opinion as to whether they are real or are fakes! I can say that hundreds...if not thousands of these and other highly collectible coins are being cranked every day of the week by numerous Counterfeiters in Shanghai, China.

Frank

5. StephenS

StephenS Member

Really? Which ones are selling the fakes? Can you point out the fakes? I ask this because I'm not real familiar with how to spot the fakes.

6. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I honestly have a hard time buying anything from e-bay these days... shiver...

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'll give ya clue - it's not the 3rd or 4th ones :secret:

But with the 3rd and 4th, you better know what you are doing. You'll get the coins, and they will be genuine. I'll leave it at that.

8. Macuquina

Macuquina Junior Member

I know all the sellers, and I watch the auctions for spanish colonials and I am the first to report... but milled gold is more common than you guys think... I do not recall finding fakes for these... now on the other hand gold cobs is a different story... as well as silver but again milled gold, more in smaller denomination, is very common.

9. Numisman

Numisman Spanish Numismatist

Spanish gold doubloons

We can give you a hint also, it's not the first 3 sellers. I bought a gold cob from the last seller, didn't certify it right away, found out it was bogus. Seller would not do anything about it. I paid $5,000!

Since then have bought multiple coins from the first 3 and all certified perfectly. Spanish escudos and reales are plentiful if you know where to find them. Remember it's their business to locate and sell these coins!

Just because you can't get them , doesn't mean they are fake coins. I prefer the first two sellers over all of them. Nice business people and they offer a 100% money back guarantee. Every time I ask them about a grade, they are pretty dead on it when it comes back from the certification company.

The first seller had told me he thought a escudo would slab at XF 45, it came back as XF 40 and they offered a complete refund, which I did not take. Still love the coin. That's pretty close!

The last seller is arrogant. The third is slow at responding to questions.

All you haters, these sellers probably don't have a clue who you are and have most likely never sold anything to you.

10. Andypex

Andypex New Member

i'm only a newbie but had no idea so many coins were fake!!! where there's money i suppose there a people willing to exploit it!! :-(

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Numisman:
    Nice comments, and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to heard about your experience with the one seller.

But, as a professional (coin seller that is), isn't it a law that they have to guarantee their stuff is genuine?

12. renhoek

renhoek Junior Member

Fake Cobs

I have bough alot over the years from littlejoe8668 - he is really Paul Karon who is like the Top Guy on this stuff and nothing I have ever bought from him was fake. He just has tons of the stuff. I get mostly Silver Cob's. Although this was before my time no one collected the things and alot were simply melted for their silver content, as that is what they usually sold for back then unless you had a really good one. When the Hunt Brother's tried to corner the silver market I am sure a ton of these were melted. Luckily there is now an interest in them. Have always liked idea that if you have 2 cobs and they are the same, they are fake!

Dos anyone know of someone like PCGS or ANACS or NGC slabs these things? has been a while and while I have sent my coins to ANAAB to be verified (they talk a picture of both sides of the cob and then give their opinion).

Problem is it can take months as they have wait for a guy who is an expert in the field to come in and verify and isn't cheap and still isn't slabbed but the pictures are good but it would not be hard for some swindler to counterfeit the stuff these days. Anybody know of reputable source that slabs cobs?

Sam

13. GDJMSP

Yes, all of the major TPG's will slab the coins provided they are genuine and not harshly cleaned. If they have been harshly cleaned then they will be placed in genuine holders without a grade.

Pretty sure that ANAAB doesn't even exist anymore.

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I believe I have seen cobs in PCGS, NGC, and ANACS slabs (Even though at the time ANACS said they would not slab cobs) But the best thing to do would be to contact the customer service dept of each company and ask if they will slab cobs. (Personally I question their expertise in the field though.)

ANAAB folded up in Nov of either 2001 or 2002. (Four different certificate varieties)

15. panamagold

panamagold Junior Member

I don't doubt your word, but would you say it's safe to buy from Dig_it!. I see he has very high positive feedback? I'm looking at 1/2 Doubloon.

PG

16. GDJMSP

Having bought from him on numerous occasions, under that and all of his previous and alternate ebay ID's, I will say this - stick with the slabbed coins he has. Or run a substantial risk.

17. panamagold

panamagold Junior Member

Which Ebayers would you trust for a Doubloon?

18. GDJMSP

A raw one ? Very few. Dan Sedwick would be one. There are few other trusted and well known dealers, but I'd have to look them up and don't have time right this minute. I'll get back to you.

19. collecting82

collecting82 New Member

hello

20. GDJMSP

If you're buying a raw gold coin from Gary it's not the authenticity I would worry about. But the coin may well be cleaned and or damaged. And it will probably cost more than it is worth.

21. collecting82

collecting82 New Member

well thats a relief - the coin in the picture did not look damaged - cleaned I can live with - still be cool for the kids to have one - most of these have been cleaned at some point - thanks for the reply:)

Draft saved Draft deleted