Gold Eagle Design Change Confusion??? 2020 W Burnished Eagle the last?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mkwelbornjr, Dec 29, 2020.

1. mkwelbornjr

mkwelbornjr Junior Member

Sorry if I missed a big debate on this but I need help understanding the continued issuance of the old Eagle design in the early part of 2021. The US Mint clearly states, "Last of inaugural design" in the description of the 2020 W Burnished Gold Eagle. That implies this is the last product of that design and I am sure this helped it sell out in 10 minutes. I also read that the Liberty obverse may be tweaked slightly for the reissue in 2021? If so to what extent...relief? Detail? I know the US Mint can't outright lie in their advertising so something makes the 2020 W Burnished Eagle the last.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The mint won't be doing the burnished eagles in 2021 until the latter half of the year AFTER the switch to the new design so while the 2020 gold eagle is NOT the last of the original design, the 2020 W Burnished gold eagle IS the last burnished eagle of the original design.

4. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Yes. This^
    Also why they have two proof W silver eagles for 2020 , one for summer, and one for "TBD" and a burnished one for summer as well as a S mint one for summer, one for the new design change after mid year, and then my hope that the two coin RP set will be one of each of old and new design.

only real reason they are making two of the same coin in the same year at the same mint, the rest is pretty normal so west point has to be making one proof of each reverse for 2021.

And Theres' also a two coin W proof 10th oz gold set slated for summer 2021
    American Eagle 2021 One-Tenth Ounce Gold Proof Two-Coin Set

I suppose it might be one of each reverse also on an affordable size for collectors instead of them doing 2 1 oz coins. lol. but if you are into gold eagles you might want to keep your eye on that item, it may be the only 2021 gold eagle offered with the old reverse possibly besides bullion.gotta keep your eye on things, they get tricky!

5. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

the 4 coin gold proof set looks to have a march release date,,,,, I don't know what the heck they are doing. hahaaha. in Summer they have it released again as well as the individuals. just like in march same W mintmark. if these are old and new reverses, then the 2 coin 10th oz set isn't going to be anything special. I'd say the march releases are the old reverse, summer releases are the new reverse, the two coin 10th oz set will be one of each reverse, and the burnished one is a summer release, and will have the new reverse also, making the 2020, the last of the line.

Always a chance they screw up and use the wrong reverse, they have a habit of doing that over the years although it's usually Philadelphia and occasionally Denver. LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted