Gold coin Real or Fake

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kyle Ray, Apr 13, 2016.

1. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

You guys are good.

All those who thought the design was "off" are correct. All these coins came from the same hub so their design should match. The date position and mint mark can "float."

Fatty" or "mushy" are two adjectives commonly used to describe the wide, low relief letters. Just for grins, put 1910 $10 into Google and pull some images. You'll see why this is a "crude" C/F.

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Just wanted to add for the record... central design is somewhat lower in profile, with the distinction of the border between raised design and fields not as strongly defined as the peripheral legends. A very common feature on modern fakes.

5. Insider

AMEN. Cannot say when this was made; however, most times when a coin is high grade (this is high grade as there is very little wear on it - just cleaned) and has the details of a worn coin (like this that looks XF) it is a fake. Often coin's that are too good to be true are also fakes. Before the cleaning this was decent.

Did anyone catch the "depression" next to the arrow heads?

Something is also going on around the "P, L, U." Looks raised pimples, granularity, or more depressions.

6. Numismat

Yea, looks like the harsh cleaning is either to buff out a grainy surface appearance, or to discourage people from getting it slabbed... or both

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It's a common tool for counterfeiters.

8. Insider

NOTE: Counterfeiters do not scratch up their GOLD coins to make them ugly and non-saleable. Take that statement to the bank!

They do tumble, art tone, corrode, and chemically treat many of their other products. What they do depends on the quality of the fake also. Even some of the high quality Large cents that "passed" the TPGS were dark and slightly corroded.

9. SuperDave

Bull. You haven't faced too many modern counterfeiters, I take it?

Numismat likes this.
  10. Numismat

They will do whatever is necessary, as long as they can make a couple dollars profit on it in high enough volume. Gold as well.

11. Insider

You're correct, what do I know about counterfeits? You are the "ex-pert" on counterfeits around here. :facepalm:

As I said, not gold. Period. :cigar::smuggrin:

PS I think I deserve a "like" for playing nice w/SuperDave this time.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Numismat

Except that gold is not exempt from the same treatment as fakes of other metals get. You really haven't seen modern counterfeit US and foreign gold coins with "fixed hole"? They pop up on ebay from the same people selling the solid silver and gold fakes we've been seeing, shipped directly from China and HK, over the past few years.
    You are talking about people that have no problem selling counterfeits at a low premium above melt and at a high volume (currency manipulation plays a large part I'm sure). They do this with "damaged" silver coins where that profit is literally $2-$3. With gold coins that profit is much higher even at a lower % premium.

13. Insider

First, I wish to apologize for the following statement as all of us have different training, experience and expertise. We are all here to learn and I hope all the hints members gave to detect this fake were helpful. My comments are NOT directed to you.

Now, I am not speaking of gold fakes that are "repaired" on purpose to take ones eye away from the obvious. Most of that stuff is as CRUDE as the OP's coin and any coin dealer or "Ex-Pert" :facepalm::vomit::yuck::yuck::yuck: who cannot tell a piece like this is a crude C/F (cleaned or not) in one second WITH THE ORIGINAL POSTED PHOTO will be put out of business in a very short time. :( And good riddance I might add as they are bungling-up a great hobby.

Incidentally, the professional authenticators call this type of work: "chocolate" referring to the gold colored wrapped candy.

14. Kyle Ray

Kyle Ray Batman

15. Kyle Ray

Kyle Ray Batman

Thanks everyone for your input. I did pass on the coin

16. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I already said why in post 10 . I don't collect gold but I do have by chance a 1910 .
    How about your opinion ?

17. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

This isn't the coin to be spending money on. Cleaning and questionable authenticity. You can get nice AU coins for about $50-100 over melt.

18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I would have loved to see the 3rd side , some of these fakes I hear were made with reeding and not stars like it should have .

19. SuperDave

Counterfeiting in the Age of Ebay is not like what you've learned from the past. These days, fakes don't_need to be accurate. They need to move in 24-hour listings with Buy It Nows of $69.99 to unknowing gamblers willing to take a chance on what they think to be a seller who doesn't know what they have. So, you throw a reasonable facsimile together, brush it to hide some of the fakery - and maybe explain why it's not in a slab to someone who's already in the process of talking themselves into it - and move it fast.

I - and anyone who's been paying fairly close attention the last 10 years or so to online forums - have seen dozens of counterfeits just like it, from all kinds of different issues. Almost always presented by relatively new collectors.

Or perhaps you'd like to explain why someone would want to brush the faces of a noble metal coin so strongly? What could have stained it? What wouldn't wash off of gold? And if it was *that* bad, why is there absolutely no sign whatsoever of anything clinging to the smallest nooks and crannies of the coin?

You've seen harshly brushed coins before. How many of them were rendered perfectly clean like this one?

Think. The world is changing, man. You gotta keep up.

20. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

21. Insider

:rolleyes:

I agree; and others here need to CATCH UP :smuggrin:

Draft saved Draft deleted