Gold coin date?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by PyrateJim, Feb 27, 2015.

1. PyrateJim

PyrateJim New Member

I know it can't be dated precisely, but can anyone help me with a time frame from the markings? I know it is a spanish, gold 2 escudo made in the New World. uploadfromtaptalk1425074628358.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1425074645127.jpg

stevex6 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

How bout this:
    Click on picture to enlarge
    [​IMG]
    2 Escudos - Land Find
    Item#: 11240
    Denomination: 2 escudos
    Mint: Bogotá
    Assayer: S
    Weight: 6.7 grams
    Diameter: .85 inches

Price: $4995.00 BUY ITEM

Shield type 2 escudos, Louis I, Santa Fe de Bogotá mint, assayer S, dated 1724 (bottom tips are visible), toned extremely fine for condition. Excellent full Jerusalem cross surrounded by double arcs with annulets between the two sets, typical of coins of the time period. Also visible on the cross side is the clear bottom portion of most of the legend HISPANIARVM REX 1724 (1724 being the date). Choice full shield with the assayer mark S at left along with the Kings ordinal I followed by *D*G in the legend. If one looks close, the last 3 letters CVS of the King's name LVDOVICVS is also visible on the shield side. Colombian coins attributed to Louis I are extremely rare and significant finds. Pedigreed to the Santa Fe Collection and supplied with a New World Treasures photo type certificate of authenticity.
    http://www.newworldtreasures.com/gold-cobs.htm

stevex6 likes this.
  4. Markus1959

Maybe this one is closer: ??????

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Pistole (gold, 1566-?): A 2 Escudos gold coin worth 32-reales and was the gold standard of its day. This is often referred to a doblón escudo or doubloon, meaning "double". Pistole is actually a French name given to the Spanish 2 escudo (double escudos), Louis d'Or and other similarly sized gold coins of other countries.
    http://zenseeker.net/Kid/PirateTreasure.htm

stevex6 likes this.
  5. PyrateJim

PyrateJim New Member

Thank you. I know the markings on one side, with the "x" on it, tells what countries were under Spain rule at the time, but I don't know how to decipher them. There different than what's in the picture and I know the coin is not dated.

6. Markus1959

Well if you want to do some researching it is classified as a Spanish gold "cob"

7. PyrateJim

PyrateJim New Member

Thanks Markus. I appreciate all the help.

Draft saved Draft deleted