gold CAC sticker

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dimedude2, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I put a gold star on my goodies and let my heirs worry about what it means. Keep them guessing, that's the ticket. CAC "Crap Another Crap" in my opinion.

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto

4. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Here is my opinion on gold CAC stickers. The gold sticker means they think the coin was under graded nothing more. The problem with this type of comment is how much was the coin under grade. They don't say an MS 63 is really an MS 65. However, I have seen more than once someone asking a price that was two grades higher based on the grade on the slab. So a MS 63 that is likely a MS 64 is being sold for MS 65 money. The person buying the coin just got screwed. This happens a lot. So if you see a gold sticker and a high price you need to make sure of what you are buying. When you decide to sell the coin don't be surprised if a dealer says the coin is really only an MS 64 and won't pay anymore than what would be based on a MS 64 graded coin. A sticker is only a sticker just like the grade on a slab. It's a matter of opinion. This is the same as saying the price of an MS 65 coin that is ugly would be the same as an MS 65 that is stunning. They're not. Not even close. This why site unseen sales of coins never worked as was the original plan when the grading companies formed. It was realized very early that it wouldn't work. Lately there has been a lot of push to say a coin with a CAC sticker is better than one without. It's a marketing game. Dealers will use it as a reason to asked a higher price for a coin or make it sound like you should only be buying coins with a CAC sticker. All the CAC green sticker means it that CAC agrees with the grade on the slab nothing more. As far as the Gold CAC sticker don't assume because a coin received a gold sticker that it is more than one grade level off. If the grade on the slab was very low compared to the actual coin don't you think the dealer would have sent out to be regraded. So a coin that was a true MS 65 coin stuck in a MS 63 would most like have been cracked out and resubmitted.

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is a CAC slip-up I spotted years ago. Here is an 1851 that is graded MS-63. It's a nice coin except for one problem. Someone scratched an "L" above Ms. Liberty's head.

1852-L gold dollar detail.jpg 1852-L gold dollar w arrow.jpg 1852-L gold dollar no Serial.jpg

I can't understand why PCGS gave this a straight grade. It's obviously post mint damage, and it is meaningful on a Mint State coin. An even bigger question is why did CAC endorse it? This is a common date, and there is no reason to give it break. There are plenty of these coins without the problem.

Publius2 likes this.
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

There’s a lot you could learn from that but it seems you aren’t interested.

Vertigo likes this.
  7. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

Yes it was!

8. Vertigo

Lol...

9. Vertigo

I recently submitted a number of bust halves. Very few of these got stickers. In that series weak strike can cause denial of CAC. I agree with the ones that received the sticker and the ones that failed. All but one of the failures displayed a weak strike. The other i believe, was over graded. And yes, people will overpay for these coins. As for removing stickers, You're crazy.

10. Vertigo

And I do own one I don't agree with. I think this coin was cleaned. Yet there it is with a straight PCGS grade and CAC
    Screenshot_20210404-154811_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210404-154829_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210404-154849_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210404-154904_Gallery.jpg

MIGuy likes this.
  11. Idoono

Idoono Member

OK I am confused. You are bitchin because that coin straight graded and CAC agreed? Personally I think it is a stunning example and if you don't like the coin any more just send it to me and I will give it a good home. JK nice coin, beautiful wear pattern.

12. charley

charley Well-Known Member

The meaning is what it was since inception of CAC: it is acceptance as a piece that fits in the original pursuit and intent of the entity....making a market.

13. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

14. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

For that half dime to get the gold bean, CAC thinks it is a 58. Is it a 58? Shoot, I feel lucky when I get within two grades. But this is a series I collect and IMHO it looks like a PQ 55 so maybe it deserves the gold.

15. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Your right this is a details coin. I have seem coins in detail slabs that I had a hard time finding out why.

16. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

17. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

you could probably sell the stickers on ebay, lol anyways, dooes anyone know what it costs to get these stickered??

Draft saved Draft deleted