Gold $1 and $3 coins

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by StacyK, Sep 27, 2019.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

@StacyK, did the dealer make that offer before sending them off for authentication, or is that what he's offering now that they're back?

There are so many counterfeits of these coins that I imagine some dealers assume the worst when they come in, and make an offer based solely on their gold value. But if he's offering that little now that they're slabbed, he's not respectable.

I'm a bit torn about the grading fees. On the one hand, it seems fair to compensate him if you aren't going to sell them to him. On the other hand, it doesn't sound like he made that a precondition for sending them in, and if he's super-lowballing you, fairness is already out the window.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. StacyK

StacyK Member

The offer was made after he got them back. I feel torn myself because we've had a pretty good working relationship but I don't like that he tried to take advantage of me.

Stevearino and hotwheelsearl like this.
  4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Who has possssion of the coins now? If he does, make sure you get them back STAT.

If you do, hang on to them and wait for a good offer

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Hopefully the coins are in your possession but if they're not like hotwheelsearl said, get them back right away. His offer was definitely low ball and I'm sure you feel hurt over that but get your coins and move on. There's always another dealer willing to be more fair, you just have to find them.

Stevearino likes this.
  6. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

First one I've ever saw. Thanks

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Counterfeit or not, the gold dollar is a common date and obviously cleaned. Sending it in for grading was a fool’s errand. There is no money there, not enough to be worth the cost and bother. A lot of collectors won’t consider buying them because they are so small.

The Three Dollar Gold Piece is one of the common dates, 1854, 1874 and 1878. It’s a good coin, but not the deal of the week for a dealer with decent business. This whole thing confuses me.

Draft saved Draft deleted