Going to London and Paris

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bman33, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

So I have been to both of these cities awhile back. I am now going to them for my honeymoon and my wife and I are coin collectors now. Anything I should keep an eye out for in regards to cool world coins or shops? Any help from a Numismatic view of this trip would be great!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Congratulations...my advice, pay attention to your wife so you will enjoy your trip.:)

Paddy54, Endeavor and Bman33 like this.
  4. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

There's Coincraft on Great Russell Street right across from The British Museum. It has a nice selection of currency and coins from ancient to modern with there being a selection available for all budgets. It's definitely worth a stop while you're there.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Bman33 likes this.
  5. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

wouldnt hurt to get a semi key date from a country or 2

6. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Initially I will be happy just getting some inexpensive stuff. Getting all the denominations of Pounds and Euros.

7. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Baldwin’s has some great stuff in their shop. 399 Strand. Dad and I walked there. Coincraft was great too. I got a Elizabeth II coronation proof set there.

Bman33 likes this.
  8. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Also, in Paris, rue de Richelieu is essentially the coin dealer’s street. Maison Platt was my favorite. He doesn’t speak much English though.

Bman33 likes this.
  9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

OK, so my trip is approaching quickly. I am very excited. Going to London for a couple of days then taking Chunnel to Paris for 5 days. Where can I get the best exchange rates?

Clawcoins likes this.
  10. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I can't help you with exchange rates, but I can also recommend popping in on Dix Noonan and Webb in Mayfair. https://www.dnw.co.uk/auctions/coins.php
    They have an outstanding auction coming up so should be some goodies to view. Baldwins is also good, but I would say Coincraft is very expensive for what they have.
    The next London coinfair is not until Novemebr, so I guess you will be back by then. There is one in Birmingham on Sunday: http://www.coinfairs.co.uk/midland-coin-fair.aspx

Bman33 likes this.
  11. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Congratulations and have a fun Honeymoon !!

Bman33 likes this.
  12. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Forget the coins. Your loving and caring
    bride is your focus. Take an organized
    bus tour of each city. Maybe a museum.
    Best wishes for the newlyweds!!

Bman33 and Kentucky like this.
  13. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

My wife likes coins too!

14. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

This is a time for romance and making
    special, long lasting memories. Coins
    not so much. Just saying. Now logoff the
    forum and turn your attention to your
    lovely bride!! You can catch up once you
    are back home.

Bman33 likes this.
  15. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

In Paris, rue Vivienne could be interesting - parallel to rue Richelieu already mentioned here. There is CGB Numismatique (36 rue Vivienne) for example ... Also, if you have the time, the French mint (Monnaie de Paris) has an interesting museum in 11 quai de Conti, close to the Pont Neuf, on the southern bank (rive gauche) of the Seine. Around the corner, in rue Guénégaud, they sell coins too. The actual production is in Pessac (near Bordeaux) but the "11 Conti" location has the HQ, the design and marketing departments, etc. ...

Christian

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Bman33 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted