Going Through Some of My Childhood Collection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

1917 Buffalo 2F Obv..jpg 20150802_130220.jpg I was going through some of my coins from my Childhood and ran across this.....Now in the best of shape, but still it pays to sometimes take a second look...... it's has been in this same 2x2 since 1962! 1917  Buffalo 2 F Rev..jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    sgt23, jlesliec, swamp yankee and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Jello do you what this is? :)

4. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Not @jello, but it looks like a two feather's to me nice rediscovery.

Paddy54 likes this.
  5. Paddy54

And yet two more finds and these I'm clueless over both are 1928 nickels one is a P the other an S but both coins have strange items in the dates. 1928 P Buffalo date 1.jpg 1928 date 2.jpg 1928 S date 1.jpg 1928 S date 2.jpg

6. Paddy54

We have a BINGO!

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Is that one of those old labels that you did one letter or numeral at a time by turning the dial and squeezing that handheld labelmaker? I had one of those years ago!
    label.JPG

jlesliec likes this.
  8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yup....old techno. :)

Paddy54 and paddyman98 like this.
  9. Paddy54

Yes it was I believe they were called dyno label maker.
    So what's your take on the 28 over what?

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. paddyman98

Nothing.. Die Break? Too small to be a numeral.

11. Paddy54

Not a die break it's a number most probably a 9. I need to give this one a bath. There's definitely a digit under the primary . Die breaks or chips don't look like this does in hand or under the scope.

12. paddyman98

An 8 over a 9.. that's not in yearly sequence though.. if it were an overdate wouldn't it be a 9 over 8? in other words a 1929 over 28

13. paddyman98

And in my research it looks like most Buffalo overdates happened in the teens - 1914 over 13 and 1918 over 17

14. Paddy54

Yes very true however one must remember at the Philly mint anything could happen . I've seen more screw up ' s and strange things come from Philadelphia mint. It's not a die break.it is a digit . I'm going to give it a soak one day this coming week ,and see if I can get some better images.
    One thing I always find amusing is whenever someone can't explain something , even the experts it always falls back to" oh it's a die break "
    Case in point a shield nickel where there were lines on the obverse that ran across the coin at a 45 degree angle . The lines even broke in places and continued on the same path in another area.
    Die breaks I was told and I don't buy it. As we are talking medal not wood that has a grain and breaks along the grain. Die breaks don't occur in a straight line. And stop and start on that same plane at will.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    paddyman98 likes this.
  15. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

Die chips IMHO

Paddy54 likes this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not bad for reliving your childhood. :smuggrin:

Paddy54 likes this.
  17. Paddy54

Yeah beats Frank's old method . ...you know carving it into a caves wall. :)

18. Paddy54

No a nice surprise as to be honest some of these coins were going to be given to a YN at the next meeting .

19. Paddy54

Everyone is entitled to their opinion . But I will disagree as as a variety collector here lately I've been finding some truly unanswered questions . And again it seems like when ever there's not a rock hard answer it seems one of the everyday stand by answers are put into play.
    Do I have the answers no but I do have some coins where die chips, die breaks, and some of the standard answers do not apply.

Kentucky likes this.
  20. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

Wow, so that's how they used to make the 2x2s.

21. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

Everyday stand by answers are quite often THE answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted