gogili1977's top 10 of 2018

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gogili1977, Dec 29, 2018.

1. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

I bought a lot of new coins this year, denarii, ants, small bronzes. I've listed these 10 that give me the greatest satisfaction.

1. Lucilla (149-182). Denarius (2.80 g). Rome. Obv: LVCILLA AVGVSTA, draped bust right. Rev: PVDICITIA, Pudicitia seated left. RIC 781.
    Lucila.jpg

2. Septimius Severus (193-211). Denarius (3.40 g). Rome. Obv. SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head of Septimius Severus right. Rev. PART MAX P M TR P VIIII, trophy between two bound captives. RIC 176.
    Septimius.jpg

3. Clodius Albinus (193-197). Denarius (3.10 g). Rome. Obv. CLOD SEPT ALBIN CAES, bare head right. Rev. MINER PACIF COS II, Minerva standing left, holding olive branch, spear, and shield set on ground. RIC 7.
    Albinus.jpg

4. Caracalla (198-217). Denarius (3.10 g). Obv. ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate and draped bust right, seen from behind. Rev. ADVENT AVGG, galley with rowers sailing left. RIC 120.
    Caracala.jpg

5. Plautilla (202-205). Denarius (3.10 g). Laodicea. Obv. PLAVTILLAE AVGVSTAE, draped bust right. Rev. CONCORDIA, Concordia seated left, holding patera and cornucopia. RIC 370.
    Plautila.jpg

6. Macrinus (217-218). Denarius (3.10 g). Rome. Obv. IMP C M OPEL SEV MACRINVS AVG, laureate and cuirassed bust right. Rev. IOVI CONSERVATORI, Jupiter standing left, holding sceptre and thunderbolt; small figure of Macrinus standing to left. RIC 76.
    Macrinus.jpg

7. Julia Mamaea (222-235). Denarius (2.30 g). Rome. Obv. IVLIA MAMAEA AVG, diademed and draped bust of Julia Mamaea to right. Rev. VESTA, Vesta standing left, holding palladium in her right hand and long scepter in her left. RIC 360.
    Mamaea.jpg

8. Philip I (244-249). Antoninianus (3.90 g). Rome. Obv. IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG,. radiate, draped, cuirassed bust r. Rev. SAECVLVM NOVVM, temple with statue. RIC 86b
    Phlip.jpg

9. Licinius I (308-324). Follis (3.10 g). Siscia. Obv. IMP LIC LICINIVS P F AVG, laureate head of Licinius I right. Rev. IOVI CONSERVATORI, Jupiter standing facing, head left, holding Victory on globe and scepter, at feet to left, eagle standing left, head right, holding wreath in beak, dot-SIS-dot. RIC 17.
    Licinius.jpg

10. Constantine I (307-337). Follis (5.90). Nicomedia. Obv. IMP C FL VAL CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, laureate head of Constantine I right. Rev. GENIO AVGVSTI, Genius standing facing, head left, pouring libation from patera over small, lighted altar and holding cornucopiae. SMN. RIC 71c.
    Constantine.jpg

Happy New Year to you all
    Goran

Alegandron, Ryro, Sulla80 and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Fantastic set of coins, I like virtually all the silver especially the Caracalla galley and the rendering of the columns on the Philip Roma temple is a beauty. Great collecting.

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The Caracalla galley is the one that did it for me!

In fact, I agree with @Ancient Aussie completely.

Another honorable mention for me would be the Clodius Albinus.

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh, snap! I just noticed that Macrinus, too. Check out how crisply struck that thunderbolt on the reverse is! Looks like a 3-D silver insect sitting on top of the coin.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I do like that galley, but all them are quite nice. Detail, detail, detail.

7. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

A very nice set, good job!

I like the Macrinus a lot as well.

Very well struck.

John

8. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

What a terrific batch of coins - very, very nice.

A question: on the Licinius No. 9 - what is it that Jupiter is wearing at his waist? Or am I misinterpreting a couple of items of anatomy?

Ryro likes this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Each is more wonderful than the others at least in some way. It was a good year for your coins.

10. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

Great coins, all! I especially like the Caracalla with galley, the Plautilla, and the Licinius.

11. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

I'm also wondering what the die engraver wanted to show.

TIF likes this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

A good year, @gogili1977! My favorite is the Macrinus-- a well-balanced coin in terms of the strike and preservation of both sides, plus the portrait is compelling.

Draft saved Draft deleted