"Gods of my fathers", an as of Geta

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by GinoLR, Jun 16, 2024.

1. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

upload_2024-6-16_16-17-38.png
    Geta, as, Rome 199-204. AE 25 mm, 9.97 g, 12 h.

Obv.: P SEPT GETA CAES PONT (Publius Septimius Geta Caesar and Pontifex), draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from the rear
    Rev.: DI PATRII (Gods of my fathers), Liber Pater standing right holding jug and thyrsus, panther at his feet, facing Hercules standing left holding lion-skin and resting on club
    RIC IV Geta 117 (as)

Geta was the younger son of Septimius Severus and Julia Domna. In 198 his elder brother Antoninus (AKA Caracalla) was made Augustus by his father, and Geta made Caesar and co-opted in the collegium of pontiffs at the age of 8. Septimius Severus was from Leptis Magna in Africa (today in Libya, not far from Tripoli), and the tutelary gods of this city were the Phoenician deities Shadrafa and Milkashtart, whose Roman interpretations were Liber Pater and Hercules. Being a pious man, Septimius Severus remained a worshiper of his home city gods, and several coins minted in Rome under his reign featured this divine pair called in Latin "Dii Patrii", "Gods of my fathers". They were specially honoured during the Secular Games he celebrated in 204.

I like this as, mostly for its elegant style. It may not be the better preserved one but it's the cutest I know AE portrait of Geta as a kid, and the reverse is also very elegant. It seems this coin is quite rare: according to RIC online there are only 2 in the core collections (1 in New York, another one in Wien) and there was just one other example on the market recorded in ACSearch.

Please post your coins of Geta, Roman or provincial...

Dafydd, robinjojo, expat and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Congrats.

My rare coin of Geta.

[​IMG]
    Geta (209 - 211 A.D.)
    AR Drachm
    Cappadocia, Caesarea-Eusebia
    O: AY K Π CEΠTI ΓETAC AVΓ Laureate bust of Geta right.
    O: MHTPO KAICAP NEO, Mt. Argaeus surmounted by star.“ET IQ” = year 19 = 210/11
    3.04g
    16mm
    Sydenham/Malloy, p. 153, 498a, Ganschow 649c; Henseler 986; Berlin 18224071

Dafydd, robinjojo, expat and 7 others like this.
  4. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

Very good coin, also for its reverse. Some day I shall buy myself a nice coin of Caesarea of Cappadocia, with Mount Argaeus. It seems it is one of the very few ancient monetary types that represent a scenic landscape...

upload_2024-6-16_18-0-42.png

5. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

Here is one of my Geta's with the same youthful portrait. It just happens to be a very unique double struck - shift mint error:

lot 978.jpg
    Authority: Geta
    Denomination: AR Denarius
    Mint: Laodicea ad Mare (198 – 200 AD)
    Obverse: L SEPTIMIVS GETA CAES, Bust of Geta, bare-headed, draped, right
    Reverse: SPEI P(ER)PETVAE, Spes, draped, advancing left, holding flower in right hand and raising skirt with left hand
    References: RIC IV, 96
    Characteristics: Unique rarity (double struck), obverse double struck with portrait extended and die cud, reverse double struck offset

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

The reverse is very common and many of the coins are affordable, that feature that particular reverse.

Love the double-stuck reverse!

7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Happy Father’s Day

nerosmyfavorite68 likes this.
  8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

So super cool

nerosmyfavorite68 likes this.
  9. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Here is a young Geta
    ROMAN EMPIRE, Geta, as Caesar. AR Denarius.. Rome, AD 200-202. 21mm, 3.34gr. P SEPT GETA CAES PONT, bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right / SECVRIT IMPERII, Securitas seated left, holding globe in right hand. RIC 20b, BMCRE 240-243, RSC 183a, Cohen 183 - SEAR RCV II (2002), #7200, page 565
    20231221_175944__2_-side-removebg-preview.png

10. Dafydd

Dafydd Supporter! Supporter

upload_2024-6-18_21-43-40.png
    ROMAN EMPIRE, GETA AS AUGUSTUS (209-212), AS, FORTUNA ENTHRONED
    Roman Empire

Geta as Augustus (209-212)

As, Rome, c. AD 211

Obv: P SEPTIMIVS GETA PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head r.

Rev: FORT RED TR P III COS II, S C in exergue, Fortuna enthroned l., holding rudder and cornucopiae, wheel below seat.

10.25g.

RCV 7279, RIC 175(a).

upload_2024-6-18_21-45-16.png
    Geta, as Caesar, 198-209 AD. Æ As, 23 mm, 5.74 gm. Struck 203-208 AD. Obv: Bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind. Rev: FELICITAS SAECVLI SC Septimius,
    and Geta seated right on platform, officer before; citizen standing left at foot of platform. RIC IV 126; BMCRE 834; Cohen 41.

expat, robinjojo, GinoLR and 2 others like this.
  11. Ryan McVay

Ryan McVay Well-Known Member

Here's my Geta youthful portrait. To me he has slight smile- similar to yours.
    Geta- Hadrianopolis.png
    Geta (Caesar, 198-209). Phrygia, Hadrianopolis-Sebaste. Æ (24mm, 8.11g, 12h). Bareheaded, draped and cuirassed bust r. R/ Mên standing r., foot on bucranium, holding spear and pine cone. SNG München 454; BMC 36-7. VF

Dafydd, Bing, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  12. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Geta AR Denarius (18.90mm, 3.29 grams) . Rome mint, 210-212 AD. Obv: P SEPT GETA PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head right Rev: LIBERALITAS AVG V, Liberalitas standing left, holding coin counter and cornucopiae, globe to left. RIC 89, RSC 68.

Dafydd, Bing and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted