Go Figure !

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Michael Bromiley, Jan 21, 2019.

1. OK so I have been looking through coins the last two and a half months, I calculated that I have gone through 16-17 thousand coins. I have found a coupe of interesting ones , like a 2000 Wide AM, and a really nice 1960 D. But I have had difficultly identifying doubled die errors. I really have been looking to find one and get it OK'd by the onliners. Well I did it !! Just found a 1972 DDO, I think a type 001, Great !!!
    Now for the down side, Apparently it looks like someone has intentionally defaced the coin. I can only surmise that a really ticked off significant other made the statement
    "I'll show you!!" and took a needle or knife to the coin. OH well, I did find one !
    I wonder if someone would like to tell others that they have one of these coveted coins in their collection for 10 or 20 bucks - Just don't show it to anyone.
    Hope you are having a great MLK day !
    Mike

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

LaCointessa likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Michael Bromiley

That is called "Road Rash". We see them all of the time!

Chris

LaCointessa likes this.
  5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am worlds first to admit I am not an errors guy. But I wanted to watch this thread for my own education. I fully agree that road rash is the criminal here. But take a second look at his blow up of the word "Trust"..... You think road rash could impose that perfect of a shadow on the wording?

6. furryfrog02

It is a 72 DDO. Just not DDO 001. Take a look at my post again. I posted links to two different DDO's. 001 and 003...which does OP's coin look more like?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Got it.

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

003 look like it. Too bad about the time spent in the parking lot.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yes, I saw the doubling, but that is not what I was responding to. I was merely trying to educate the OP about road rash.

Chris

10. Thanks - How do I get to your posts ?

11. Randy Abercrombie

The part of his message that shows underlined and blue are the links he provided. Just click on the blue wording..... First response to your question.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The -001 is of course the one the books and youtubers use to get people to check tens of thousands of coins and of course their views and book sales. Honestly , I have only found 2 DDs of my lincoln collection through looking. To me it is cheaper to use my time working , even when I was young, and spend my extra money on coins others had found. I would never expect to find such in rolls except maybe salted ones, they just do not realistically exist. Learn the diagnostics and understand the processes and then hunt for them in coin shows, coin clubs, even eBay is useful if you have a high definition screen and KNOW exactly what to look for. I have bought 1917 DDO on ebay for low price because there is a long list of them for sale uncertified, but maybe only 1 or 2 are real DDO. Knowledge is the most valuable thing one can have when adding coins ( and this forum is loaded, some nice, some terse, but if it is not accurate it will be called. IMO, Jim

13. furryfrog02

For some more help, here is my 1972 DDO 001 that I found CRHing.
    1972P DDO1.jpg

14. desertgem

You are one of the lucky people!! I bought 2 of mine mine in 1980s from Bowers and Medena (sp?) for 10 hrs of overload pay each :)

1972DDO_zps5751b845.JPG

And later ( 2003) This one , again for about 10 hrs of overload pay ( more $$ than above and luckily a higher pay rate :) as a part -timer retired, my rate is lower, so I have cut back, too many hobbies. Jim

pcgs1.jpg

furryfrog02 likes this.
  15. furryfrog02

Yours looks muchh nicer than mine...but you can’t beat the low low price of 1 cent :p

16. desertgem

Thats why I said you were one of the lucky people !! Bet more people buy them like me than find them in CRH.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  17. Thanks -- I looked at your posts, I do believe it looks like a 003

Draft saved Draft deleted