Featured Glykon - The snake cult of Alexander of Abounoteichos

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Jochen1, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

We wouldn't know if they weren't explicitly marked with the denomination, Δ<. The semis sign, <, means 1/2. The Δ and the < may appear separately in the fields or ligate, as on both of our coins.

Sulla80 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

The semis is tied to the delta in the lower right corner of its triangle. Here is a close-up of your coin, @Sulla80 :

12121234.jpg

And on mine:

Gordian III and Tranquillina Tomis Homonoia reverse close up.jpg

Carl Wilmont, Alegandron and Sulla80 like this.
  4. svessien

svessien Senior Member

What a fascinating story! An ancient L. Ron Hubbard, no less. Thank you for sharing, Jochen.

Roman Collector likes this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, @Jochen1 , thanks for the coin and the write-up. I walk away from the write up understanding that a guy went out and just invented a god for his own purposes. Kinda scary. I can understand early societies coalescing around a cult or religious figure that evolves into a god/dess that helps their society. However, it sounds like this guy just made it all up. Control? Their personal "immortality" for creating a religion?

I have none of Glykon (sounds like a medicine of today!) However, you segued to explain that the Snake Mystic of Olympia and the Makedonwn were completely different. Understood, and thanks for distinguishing.

Since I do not have a Glykon, here is a little snake tribute from Alexander III of Makedon to his Mother, Olympia (Even her loving Son that she a crazy-lady) :)

upload_2020-5-23_11-46-6.png
    Alexander III the Great Æ17 / Snake
    Attribution: Price 385
    Date: 325-310 BC
    Obverse: Head of Alexander as Herakles right, in lion skin headdress
    Reverse: B A between bow case and club, coiled snake below
    Size: 17.75mm
    Weight: 5.59 grams
    Description: VF
    Ex: Marc Breitsprecher

And here is a cool little guy like the snake on my coin:
    upload_2020-5-23_11-51-6.png

6. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

The Glykon serpent as discovered in 1962 together with other religious statues, including Fortuna and Pontos (the protectors of seafarers on the Black Sea), a bust of Isis, an altar of Nemesis, Cybele and a Mithraic altar, among others.

10_tezaur_sculpturi_4.jpg

They had been deposited together, possibly as the area was being developed into what would become Constantiana, the new metropolitan centre of old Tomis.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    tenbobbit, zumbly, PeteB and 5 others like this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

This is a great post that deserves to live on in perpetuity!

Well, I finally got a weird snake that might be Glycon. It came in a crummy eBay lot that I pursued because of a countermark (to be posted later, probably).

Such a relief to post a coin and not a postage stamp (see above)!

This was kind of tough to track down, but I am 62% sure of my attribution. The radiate bust and letters in the reverse field connected me to an acsearch auction and the Wildwinds listing that both seemed authoritative - none that I found had an obverse legend that was worth a hoot.

But here is a much better snake head (and obverse die match to mine?): https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=356791

Here's mine:

Elagabalus - Nicop. ad Istrum snake lot May 2020(0).jpg
    Elagabalus Æ 26
    (c. 218-222 A.D.)
    Moesia Inf. Nicopolis ad Istrum
    Novius Rufus, consular legate.

[AVT...?] ANT[ΩN...?], radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right / [VΠ NOBIOV POVΦOV] NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠΡOCI [C]T-P/O/N, coiled nimbate serpent (Glykon?).
    AMNG I 1996; Varb. 4063 var.
    (12.19 grams / 26 mm)

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Yesterday's Gorny auction had a huge offering of provincials, and I was lucky enough to win a few, including this Glykon type. It wasn't one I was familiar with, but the serpent clearly shows a fish tail and a head adorned with a wig.

Commodus Pautalia - Glycon 00274Q00.JPG
    COMMODUS
    AE23. 6.41g, 23mm. THRACE, Pautalia, AD 180-192. Varbanov 4565. O: ΑV ΚΑΙ ΜΑΡ ΑVΡ ΚΟΜΟΔΟС, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: OVΛΠΙΑС ΠΑVΤΑΛΙΑС, the serpent Glykon wearing wig and with fish tail coiled right, feeding from altar to right; tree (or grain ear) to left.

seth77, TIF, Roman Collector and 3 others like this.
  9. Roman Collector

Great job with the attribution! I'm glad you finally joined the Glykon owner's club!

That's a very nice example and better preserved than any on the RPC site. You should click on the feedback icon in the lower left corner of the listing and upload your example to the site.

zumbly and Marsyas Mike like this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Thanks for the link, RC. I'll remember to do that when I eventually have the coin in hand.

Roman Collector likes this.
  11. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

I just happened to see this. With respect, I think the serpent instrument is named after the serpent, not the other way round.
    According to Wikipedia : Snakes are elongated, legless, carnivorous reptiles of the suborder Serpentes.[2].
    Serpents are the same as snakes but in mythology the word serpent tends to be used. Mythological serpents often do not conform with real snakes in the actual world.

Draft saved Draft deleted