Giveaway-aversary!!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Dec 3, 2018.

1. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Entry post.
    I'm a little late to the party but this is my favorite ancient coin that I own. I was waiting to create a thread on it but I can do that later.
    Taras Calabria didrachm circa 272-235 BC I am especially fascinated by the owl to the right of the dolphin. 20180812_163419.jpg 20180812_163409.jpg

furryfrog02, Cucumbor, Bing and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

It's that time! Time to decide who has won a funderful coin and book from and on Cyprus!!
    The anticipation is intense!!! You could cut the tension with a gladius! Who will win?!?!?...
    :eek::eek::eek:
    downloadfile-6.gif giphy-5.gif source.gif giphy-6.gif giphy-7.gif IIRB.gif
    Is for @Curtisimo and @TIF to decide!
    That thread you posted the link to was before my time and simply hilarious!!! It had everything. Intrigue, lies, deception, a foil and even some love and a load of laughs.
    So uh yeah, I'll cop out and let the 2s of yous decide...who the winner will beo_O:p

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:D

Thanks, Ryro! I'll confer with @Curtisimo and we will come up with a plan :).

Curtisimo and Ryro like this.
  5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Me and @TIF are on it!
    IMG_7192.JPG
    Great give away @Ryro ! The favorite coin or CT moment (other than one's own) idea would be a fun thread for someone to start.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Milesofwho, TIF and Ryro like this.
  6. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Okay ladies and gentleman... after much deliberation between @TIF and I we decided...
    • to consult with the Augers
    • to consult the Sibylline Books
    • to take a good hard look at the layout of the liver of a recently sacrificed bull...
    ...well maybe we just used a random number generator which told us to pick.

IMG_7193.GIF

@Milesofwho

Congratulations sir! @Ryro , your generous give away has been awesome. CT wouldn't be the same without you buddy.

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

He's kidding. We used knucklebones to determine the winner :D.

Justin Lee, Milesofwho, NLL and 3 others like this.
  8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Congratulations @Milesofwho! It is very fitting for you too win. I didn't realize it until I was going over the contestants, but you and I joined CT on the exact same day! Belated happy anniversary to you my coin pal. Please PM me your mailing info and I will mail out your winnings:D:woot::cigar:

9. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

Oh, wow! Thank you so much for your generosity @Ryro! Here’s to many more years with you, and hopefully someday I can match this giveaway with one of my own.

10. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

It’s arrived, and I couldn’t be happier. It’s like an early Christmas present! The book is excellent, and I can’t wait to learn more about the copper island. The coin is very small (13 mm), which makes it even more fascinating to realize that celators could engrave letters that small. It was minted at the Ptolemaic capital city of Cyprus, Paphos. I find it interesting that they use the eagle reverse just like any other Ptolemaic bronze coin. The depiction of Heracles is nice to see, as Zeus-Ammon can get a bit tiring to see. I figured I’d leave the coin in a holder for now.
    Photos:
    F28CDAF8-A4A7-45C3-A34D-E86434FAAB7D.jpeg 64B2FABB-DFFD-4FBA-BC9D-6D8CAC06BF87.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted