Ghetto Notes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by petronius, Jan 28, 2013.

1. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Some interesting stuff. Was there other currencies used in the Ghetto petronius? Thanks for teaching me some thing new by creating this thread.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. petronius

petronius Duke

Yes, in Lodz was used another type of paper money, issued by the local postal office, and called POSTABTEILUNG (Post Office) CHITS.

After its initial opening, the Lodz ghetto post office was closed for a long period, and did not reopen until May 1944.
    But, two times, in April 1942 and May 1944, there was a shortage of small changes in the ghetto. So, to help alleviate this shortage, the post office issued chits, on various type of paper, for 10 pfennig value, dated April 17, 1942 and May 15, 1944.

The text on the chits states:

"GUT FUR 10 PF BEI DER POSTABTEILUNG DES AELTESTEN DER JUDEN In Litzmannstadt Ghetto"
    (Good for 10 pfennigs in the Post office of the Eldest of Jews in Litzmannstadt Ghetto)

10pfennig lodz.jpg

(Picture from web, I don't have them in my collection).

Original chits are very rare, but you must be very careful when buying, as many fakes have been produced on ink jet printers.

Three other ghettos in Poland used their special paper money, I'll talk about them later.

petronius :)

NLL likes this.
  4. kolyan760

kolyan760 Well-Known Member

not a ghetto note but really cool nazi 10 mark IMG.jpg

5. kolyan760

not a note but also 10pf (most destroyed and remelted) s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg

6. kolyan760

if you interesting i have many rare examples from Lodz ghetto

7. Zoopapa

Zoopapa New Member

8. Zoopapa

Zoopapa New Member

Back in 1967 Chicago dealer Carl Subak who was from Austria originally had obtained a quantity of the Therestenstadt sets. I would buy 10 sets at a time for $1.25 each set and take and sell 5 sets to Rarcoa at $10 a set and the other 5 to John Ross for the same $10. Then I would go back and get 10 more. He had a lot of sets for a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted