GFO Antiquities (also called GFO Coins, GFOcoins) collect money, don't ship

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by sc smith, Jan 15, 2018.

1. sc smith

sc smith New Member

Has anyone had issue with an online coin dealer GFO Antiquities (dba GFO Coins and GFOcoins), see http://www.gfocoins.com?

I purchased a large cent from them, paid by check, they took my money, and then they never shipped it. They don't take credit cards, my mistake.

Heads-up to all who might be considering purchasing from them. I suggest receiving the goods first before you pay, or better just shop elsewhere.

They were great up to the point were they gave me a tracking number. The shipping status never changed from USPS waiting for the package. Once I told them this, they 100% stopped responding. Can't call them as they have no phone number listed, only by email.

I did some checking on reviews and it seems others have had the same problem. I'll consider my several hundred dollar mistake as a hard learning experience.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ronnie58

ronnie58 Active Member

There is something fishy about the site despite its sharp look. Prices are way too low in many cases. A 1798 VG08 2nd Hair Style Large Cent sold last night for $220 on David Kahn's eBay store, from which quality stock moves at good prices (PCGS is $275).
    This GFO place claims they'll send it to you for $82.
    Another weird thing: I checked out dozens of online retailers when returning to collecting last March, and never encountered one that claims to have available almost every known U.S. coin in every grade.
    If they are for real they are a coin wholesaler, but even then the prices look suspect to me. They do claim to be a source for 'hundreds of eBay sellers'.
    But probably best to use the rule " If it looks too good to be true it probably is" when finding such deals.

4. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

I would report them to your AG or even CA, AG , BBB, if listed. I know our AG here in NY they usually respond to emails and they do not like folks getting ripped off.

Draft saved Draft deleted