Gettysburg Coin Show

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ddoomm1, Sep 14, 2018.

1. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

I had the chance to stop by the coin show today. Anyone else stop by?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

What was your experience? So blasted sorry I missed the event........

4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

One of these day's I plan to visit the east coast. Maybe I will make it to it someday soon.

5. MitchBailey

MitchBailey Active Member

I attended Friday, it was very busy. I met some new dealers and crossed paths with some of the regulars in the circuit. I had a better experience than the Whitman Baltimore summer show, and it's close enough I'd attend next year if possible. There is so much to see and do in Gettysburg, it could easily overshadow this.

dwhiz likes this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I'd love to attend the Gettysburg show one day.

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

What many don't know...is that Whitman show changed its dates for the Fall show...so it created an issue for dealers whom plan to attend and set up at this show ,the Pan show,and Whitman show to set up.
    Personally I perfer a mid size show as this one or PAN over the Whitman show in Baltimore.
    Now true the Baltimore show is only 10 miles from home....where this show and smaller local shows can be a drive.
    However whitman show is at least $20 for parking sometimes more to those who do not know Baltimore and parking near the event.
    Food is more at Baltimore as it would be at any venue as such , as choices where to eat are more the cost for lunch is also.
    Security is better at the smaller and medium shows.
    Yes true there is security at Whitman however the area needed to be covered is more...So the amount of coverage is sometimes spotty.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I went to Gettysburg yesterday and spent 5 hours looking and talking to dealers. Even had a nice coin conversation with a guard. No costs to park and no entrance fee.

The show was fairly busy for a Friday but you could still see and talk. Naturally I saw a number of coins I wanted but couldn't afford. And of course one dealer had the last 2 coins I needed in the grade I want but he was overpriced so I just walked away politely. Another dealer looked on his bid sheet and he was in fact very high.

I did find 2 very nice coins to add to my collection as well and I also found a few low end coins too. It was fun and a great experience. If was also a nice drive through the battlefield. When I saw the PA Memorial and Confederate Ave. I was reminded of the 12 mile hike my wife and I took years ago. A wonderful hike and I still remember the feeling I had.

And using my imagination, I remember the smell of gunpowder, the noise of cannons and bullets whizzing past me as we hiked the last mile from Gen. Lee's monument. That was Gen. Picket's charge. He lost his entire outfit, over 5000 men as they crossed that field in July in 1863. The only place one could take cover was behind the body of a dead comrade. Two fences to climb over and a road to cross, all while charging up a low lying area that is the high ground.

The Union Army occupied the higher ground and that was behind A few rocks so they had cover but the Confederates did not. What an eerie feeling. I highly recommend the coin show and a drive through the battlefield. It's also a nice walk through the cemetery.

green18 and LA_Geezer like this.
  9. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

My parents were Pennsylvanians and I was born there, but the family made only one trip to Gettysburg before we moved away in 1957; I was just 12 years old then. I made another trip in the mid-sixties just prior to being drafted into the army but have not been back since. I would very much like to attend a coin show such as this one.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You would not be disappointed.

Paddy54 and LA_Geezer like this.
  11. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

I greatly enjoyed it! I arrived with a little over one hour to go so about 40-50% of the dealers seemed to have left. There were some very nice quality coins, and good variety of coins, bullion, patterns, etc. I would highly recommend a road trip some time; coin show one day, battlefield the next.

green18 likes this.
  12. MichaelDixon

MichaelDixon Member

Thanks to all who attended and made The National Battlefield Coin Show™ a success!

MitchBailey, ddoomm1 and Paddy54 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted