Getting the collecting bug. Any help much appreciated xx

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Helon Earth, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Helon Earth

Helon Earth New Member

I've been offered this 1887 (Victoria 50th anniversary) silver shilling for £50 is it a good find? what about condition (It's very grubby) xx

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

It has a relatively high mintage, is damaged, and has been cleaned. It has .1682 oz of silver in it...this is the type of coin I can find at local coin shops for silver melt price. So I think the price of 50 pounds is WAY high.

Helon Earth and tommyc03 like this.
  4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Yes - 66 US Dollars - yikes!!!

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

The coin is cool, but it looks damaged. I'd be much inclined to pass at that price. Always a good idea to check on here before making a purchase if you're not sure, we're happy to help.

Here's some info on the coin (please note, that these prices are high and due to the damage on the coin, it would really only be worth its silver value.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...ling-km-761-1887-1889-cuid-122918-duid-314818

Markus1959 and tommyc03 like this.
  6. Markus1959

Damn @Seattlite86 - for someone to offer her that horrible coin for 50 pounds/66US$ - that's horrible - you don't start a collection with a high priced piece of crap that somebody don't want!!
    Helon Earth please read these informative posts and start learning - IF you want!!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Helon Earth

Helon Earth New Member

Thank you for your help xx

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. Seattlite86

We are here to help. Do you have coins you already collect or coins you are interested in? You'll likely find much better options on this forum than through eBay.

Markus1959 likes this.
  9. Markus1959

Everybody will help - just ask!!

Helon Earth likes this.
  10. Helon Earth

Helon Earth New Member

I am trying to collect rare British coins but I'm not very sure of what is good or not. I have some I think are historically interesting. I have alot to learn but I enjoy it with a nice cup of tea and biscuits
    Thank you xx

11. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I thought it was tea and crumpets? ;)

Helon Earth likes this.
  12. Seattlite86

I'd personally recommend you avoid buying anything "rare" unless you have amassed a great amount of knowledge on such coins. Rare coins are often counterfeited and/or overpriced. You can pick up a very worn version of an old British coin for cheap (I paid 10 cents for this one on the bottom of this photo). Is it rare? No. Is it worth much? No. Is it older than the country that I live in? Yes, which I find to be really cool.

[​IMG]

Helon Earth likes this.
  13. Helon Earth

Helon Earth New Member

I think it's the best option. Here are some I've got recently.
    Do you think I'm any good? Plus loads of fairly modern bits & pieces (pence, pounds crowns etc)
    PS. I didn't buy the shilling thanks for all the advice xx

Attached Files:

14. Markus1959

Great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Helon Earth and Seattlite86 like this.
  15. Seattlite86

I think you might have forgotten to add a photo of a couple of the sides for your coins. As far as being any good, that is completely subjective. What matters more than anything else is that YOU like your coins and YOU are happy with the prices. Knowing what things sell for really helps in the being happy with the prices department.

Draft saved Draft deleted